Chapter 2

The sun was setting as we finally reached the youth centre. At this point in time, I was tired, sweaty, and in desperate need of a bath and food.

The rest of the class rushed to meet us, expectations splayed all over their faces. Hours of waiting had fanned their hopes, enough for them to overlook our withdrawn states.

Kyungjun shouldered past them, coming face to face with Junhee.

“How far into the village were you able to go?” He demanded, eyes taking in our states. At the lack of response, he grew even more impatient. “You said you would meet the villagers and call the police. Did you do it?” He yelled.

I flinched at the volume. Junhee, ever the sturdy class president, stood firm even when being yelled at. Then again, who knew how many times Kyungjun had flared up at him before?

“We couldn't go.” Junhee delivered the verdict that punctured everyone's hope. “The entire place is enclosed with the line.”

Despair filled the air.

“Then, does this mean that we can't leave this place until the game is over?” Yoonseo asked, doe eyes filled with haunting realisation, desperately seeking for a firm denial to her question.

Instead, what she received was acknowledgement.

“Yes,” Junhee reluctantly replied.

With the affirmation and the current situation finally sinking in, the class gradually dispersed into their cliques, still more at ease with people they were comfortable with. Despite not knowing each other's identities, still trusting each other.

“Haneul, let's meet in front of the cafeteria in ten minutes,” Eunha whispered.

At my agreement, she was herded off by her two close friends, who shot me wary looks.

I was left in the atrium, alone. Lit up by a blue glow from the lights, the statue stared down at me.

Somehow, despite not having any eyes, it felt as if it was looking down on me. Just a mere pawn to be moved around on a chessboard, just an interesting ant struggling to survive.

***

Rifling through Haneul's backpack yesterday had left me with no new information, save for new sets of clothes and toiletries. Her phone was also devoid of any memories, filled with studying materials instead.

On the bright side, the clothes she brought along were super comfortable to move about in. Instead of the school skirt, I opted for the sweatpants and considering how the temperature was dropping rapidly at night, a grey sweater to keep me warm. Finally washing up and changing into clean clothes at the end of the day was perhaps, one of the best parts of today.

Whatever I gleaned from her belongings pointed to a pragmatic student focused on studying, a wardrobe filled with monochromatic colours that aimed more at comfort than fashion. The only difference was a small key chain depicting boxing gloves, tucked away in a pocket at the corner of her backpack, as if she was hiding it from sight.

Well, if she was involved in boxing, that would explain her current figure. Whether it was a dream or just a hobby remained unknown.

Now completely cleaned, I tucked the bag away and headed to the cafeteria. With nothing else to do, food was the priority. Whatever snack I had eaten on the trail had long since been digested, and my protesting stomach was slowly making itself known with its grumbles.

When I made my way to the cafeteria, sounds of struggling reached my ears.

“Stop it! I said no! Stop it!” A desperate voice drifted out from the cafeteria. “Seriously, don't! Let me go!”