03| ESSENCE OF HER

THE DUO MADE THEIR WAY TO THE TRUCK, where Cole, in a gesture of chivalry, opened the door for Charis, closing it after she had settled in. Embarking on their journey, Cole told her they would stop at his mother's veterinary clinic briefly.

A tranquil silence enveloped them as they drove through the town, and for Charis, it felt like the lifting of a significant weight from her shoulders. The prospect of reconnecting with someone, reliving the camaraderie of pre-accident days, had seemed distant. Her hospital stay had been marked by a notable absence of visitors, and although she recognized her own fault as being a reserved person, the desire for anyone during those times lingered.

They soon reached the clinic and parked. "You can come, we'll just be a second," Cole said, looking at her.

"Sure, I want to say hello to your mom, I haven't seen her in a while." Charis nodded.

Katherine was a presence she hadn't encountered in quite some time. Reflecting on the days of her recovery, Charis viewed Katherine as a delightful escape, infusing a renewed vibrancy into her life amidst the predictable interactions with her sister and father. It wasn't that Marilyn and Austin were unwelcome; rather, Charis yearned for the uplifting presence of someone beyond her family.

Stepping into the clinic, Cole gallantly held the door for Charis. They asked the receptionist for his mother's whereabouts and were directed toward the back.

"Hey."  Cole greeted.

"Whoa," He immediately halted in his steps, observing the unfolding scene in front of him. Charis, absentmindedly crashing into his back, quickly composed herself.

Jackie Howard stood before them, without George's hat covering the aftermath of the Walter brothers' escapade. The crucial orange-blonde streak coursed through Jackie's head, eliciting a frown from Charis, a blend of sympathy and slight shock. Katherine transitioned from an angry expression to a soft smile upon seeing Charis. Cole's grin and suppressed laughter prompted Jackie to irritably put her hat back on. Charis shoved Cole, and Katherine responded with a thankful smile.

"Tony says your car won't be ready till tomorrow," Cole informed Katherine.

"Um, if you want a ride home, I've got the truck," he added.

"Oh, thanks. I still have a couple of clients left to see," Katherine said, casting a suspicious look at Cole.

"I'll check if your dad can pick me up, but I think Jackie could use a ride. I mean, if that's okay with you," she directed her attention to the girl.

"Actually, I'm going to get some food with friends," Jackie reassured.

"Make sure to be back by dinner. And... Jackie? We're going to sort out that other thing later." Katherine offered a comforting glance.

"Okay. Thanks, Katherine." Jackie chirped.

"Charis, how are you? How's your father?" Katherine placed a hand on Charis's shoulder, clearly having missed her.

"Same old," Charis replied, offering a response that wasn't entirely truthful. But Katherine sensed the underlying message—that the alcohol problem might make a comeback. They bid farewell, with Cole closely observing the exchange. What did she mean? Sometimes she was so hard to understand, Cole pondered.

As the trio exited the vet clinic, Cole seized the opportunity to introduce Charis to Jackie. "Jackie, this is Charis," he said.

"Nice to meet you," Charis extended her hand, and Jackie reciprocated, replying, "You too."

"As far as I've heard, we've been the talk of the town," Jackie chuckled in response. They engaged in a brief conversation while Cole went to the car, intending to return and pick up Charis.