~Chapter 7~

Katherine had rang Lilly's mom, asking if she could babysit Benny for the evening as they went to the first Lark after dark night, she explained that while Jackie and Cole would be at home, they had chores to do and wouldn't be able to take care of the youngest Walter as Cole would be keeping an eye on Parker as well, her being a bit older and knowing what to do herself. Having babysat Benny before, Lilly agreed willingly, knowing that Nathan would tell her how it went after anyway.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"See you later, Nate" Lilly said standing by the door as most of the Walter family left the house, "See ya Lils" he replied, smiling. Benny stood next to Lilly, George shouted to Cole that there would be a storm later tonight, Benny grabbed onto Lilly, "I don't like storms" he pouted, "Aww Benny, it'll be ok" Lilly reassured him, she crouched down so that Benny could jump on her back, giving him a piggyback ride she ran down the porch steps past Cole and Jackie and around the side of the house as Benny laughed, going in the back door once again. Cole watched Lilly with a smile on his face, how could he not like her when even the youngest Walter boy liked her.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

Lilly had put Benny to bed a little while ago, deciding to clean up the games he had left in the living room, "Hey Lilly you want some hot chocolate?" Jackie asked from the doorway, "Uh yeah sure" Lilly replied as she followed her into the kitchen. Lilly, Jackie and Cole leaned against the island as they took a sip of their hot chocolates. The spice, surprising Lilly. "I thought you said this was hot chocolate?" Cole looked at Jackie, "It's spicy hot chocolate, but compared to how my family makes it, there's maybe a tiny dash of chili powder in the milk" Jackie spoke, "I like it, adds a bit of flavour" Lilly added, sipping on the drink, "I'm gonna go finish cleaning up" she added, taking her hot chocolate with her, Jackie nodded as she left.

Lilly had tried her best in the past few days to not spend longer than necessary near Cole, he hadn't spoken to her so she was simply doing the same in return. She could hear the two talking in the kitchen, their voices muffled slightly but still clear enough that she could hear what was being said. Jackie's response to Cole's question didn't surprise her, she knew the girl was struggling being here, it being so different to New York, she didn't expect Cole's response though. It surprised her at how honest he was. She felt bad for him, understanding that it was due to his leg.

As she was cleaning up, she leaned across an arm chair, the lights turned off, somehow throwing Lilly's balance causing her to fall, scratching her arm on a box of toys on the way down, she let out a cry of pain, trying not to be too loud knowing the younger Walters were asleep. Jackie and Cole ran into where she was, flashlights in hand, "Lilly, are you ok?" Jackie asked as she helped the girl up off the floor, Cole looked concerned genuinely wondering if she was ok. "I'm fine I just scratched my arm" she said, Cole pointed his flashlight on her arm where a thin red line was visible, a speck of blood near the bottom. "I'll get the first aid kit" Cole announced leaving the room, "I'll see if I can get these lights working again" Jackie said leaving the Evans girl sat on the sofa.

Cole returned with some antiseptic wipes and a plaster, sitting next to her, he held out his hand. She outstretched her own as the lights turned back on, Jackie successful in returning the power. "Okay, I did not figure you for an electrician" Cole spoke looking at Jackie as she sat down beside Lilly. "Well, my granny always said, nothing is so broken that it can't be fixed" Lilly added, looking at Jackie who smiled then turning to face Cole who was already looking at her, she smiled. He realized that she must have heard his conversation with Jackie.

Moments later the power was gone once again, Jackie ran out to see if she could fix it again, Lilly held her phone's flashlight as Cole helped her clean her cut, she winced as the antiseptic wipe stung, "Sorry" Cole said quietly, briefly stopping to look up at her, his apology included more than just this moment, "It's ok" Lilly replied, seeing in his eyes that he was apologizing for the other day also, she returned the same look as Jackie came back.

𖡼.𖤣𖥧𖡼.𖤣𖥧

"Looks like the whole area's out" Cole said as he continued lighting some candles. "Happens all the time" he continued. The three were sat on the floor in front of the fireplace, "Thank God. I thought it was my fault" Jackie exclaimed, Lilly chuckled as Cole shook his head no. "I think I'm gonna head to sleep" Jackie announced, yawning, Lilly and Cole wished her a goodnight as they were left alone.

"It was... My Granny's anniversary yesterday" Lilly spoke sadly looking at the fire, she could feel Cole looking at her, "I'm sorry, Lilly" he replied sympatheticly. Lilly looked up at him, "That's why I was using her teacup. I miss her" she spoke, Cole felt sorry for the girl, knowing how close she had been to her Granny, "She used to collect them and that one... That one was her favorite" Lilly continued. "When I was younger, she would tell me I was as pretty as a teacup" Lilly smiled, thinking about the memory. "She wasn't wrong" Cole said, looking into Lilly's eyes, butterflies invading her stomach momentarily.

Cole and Lilly sat there, a sad smile on their faces. As the thunder rumbled outside, Cole's gaze intensified, Lilly's doing the same. There was a moment where Lilly was sure she would kiss him, the scene being perfect, fire crackling beside them, candles lit all around and just the two of them, searching each other's eyes for something, anything they could hold on to. Lilly averted her gaze as she heard the front door opening, the sound of the Walter family returning hitting her ears.

"Where are Jackie, Lilly and Cole?" Katherine asked loudly, "Found 'em" Alex said smirking as he watched Cole help Lilly up off the floor. "Hey, where's Jackie?" He continued, "Oh she went to sleep maybe twenty minutes ago" Lilly responded. "Oh, ok, thanks" Alex said, walking away. Lilly and Cole stood there awkwardly for a moment before Nathan entered the room, "Hey Lils" Nathan said, "Hey Nate, how was it?" She asked referring to Lark after Dark. "It was great but I'm starving, come on I'll tell you more about it" he said hooking his arm around hers dragging her out of the room. Lilly glanced at Cole momentarily, an understanding smile and a nod was what he offered her. Lilly returned the smile as she left with Nathan.

~Authors note:

I may have watched the series three times already since it came out...