Chapter Thirty Nine

I excitedly sat down at the dinning table, we planned on doing a competition between the kids vs adults. Me and Malfoy were teamed up and Lucius and Narcissa were paired up. We were suppose to see who would make the best gingerbread house without the use of magic. Although things didn't quite go as planned.

Malfoy held the pieces together while I used the icing as glue. I was surprised when I learned that they never once made gingerbread houses before, I suppose it did make sense though as they never really celebrated muggle holidays. But everyone was going up and beyond, I mean Malfoy wanted to include a pool for fuck sakes. I told him it wasn't that big of a deal but clearly it was to him, so much so that he got offended when I brought it up. I did my best on what I could to support him, but it was generally challenging to work with him.

There were multiple times throughout the day where I just wanted to say "fuck it" and destroy the whole thing. Although I decided against it as it would only cause more mayhem and problems. However, the thought was very tempting. At least there wasn't any time limit, so once in a while, I would excuse myself from the table to let Malfoy work on it. It gave both of us a break. But he was always very grateful for when I returned. Once in a while, he too, would also take a break and leave the house to me. During this time I would be able to add whatever I wanted to, such as a cute mailbox or cute peppermint fence.

Turns out we weren't the only ones having problems. Narcissa and Lucius were arguing about their gingerbread house nearly falling down, I guess they were trying to pin the blame on the other person. I suppose I see where Malfoy got his hotheadedness from. Instead of taking a step back from their art piece and coming back when tension was lower, they kept hyping it up. Although I didn't have the courage to get in between them, it really wasn't my place after all.

But I could even tell that Malfoy was getting tired of it. I couldn't blame him, if this was how it was all the time, I don't think I would want to be here either. At least me and Malfoy knew where our limits were and end up just leaving instead of arguing. To be honest, I don't really think that I would be able to handle the arguing and just cry.

"This is the worst holiday activity ever" Malfoy stated as he tried to place gumdrops symmetrically on the gingerbread house.

"It's only horrible because your communication skills are terrible and you're trying to make it perfect. You guys are over complicating everything" I shake my head but Malfoy only scoffed at this.

"I don't try to make everything perfect, just most of it so it looks semi-decent" he tried to stick up for himself.

"You don't celebrate a lot of holidays, do you?" I asked.

"What does that have to do with anything?"

"A lot actually, you're not really in the holiday spirit, I think that's because you never really celebrated any holidays" I shrugged.

"I didn't know there was a spirit for a holiday" he rolled his eyes.

"Sure there is! You know how when you play quidditch, you get super hyped when you make a point. You feel as if you're on top of world and have this high feeling you never want to come down from. That's called spirit. I may not feel that spirit about sports but I do with holidays" I smiled.

"You don't like sports? But you always dress up in something green, and cheer for me, always show up at my games, and wave a small flag" I was unaware of how much notice of detail he took in. It caught me off guard, I won't lie.

"That's because you like it, who am I to take away your spark? If quidditch makes you beyond happy then I will do whatever I can to cheer you on. Even if I don't understand or like the sport, I know it's important to you, so I try and put an effort into it" I explained, he seemed taken aback by my response. 

"You should have told me before, you know you aren't forced to go right?" He suspiciously raised an eyebrow.

"I'm aware but I also love to see you smile, when you're out there on the field, it's like I'm watching a completely different person. You're so focused and so determined and excited. You do whatever it takes to win even if it's dirty tricks. You never give up even if you lose a match, you train so hard. Harder than I seen anyone on the team do. I really admire that and seeing you light up? I could watch it all day" I ranted. I felt my face heat up after I finished talking, Merlin I felt stupid. It wasn't necessarily a love confession but I did go on a small tangent about how much I've observed him. Probably noticed things a normal friend wouldn't notice.

"Well...I don't like the holidays but, I'm willing to try" he stated, I felt my heart skip a beat.

"Thank you, but also know that just because it is something I like and enjoy, it doesn't mean you have to partake in it. I'm happy doing it by myself, as long as I'm with you, I don't care what we do. I want you to have fun too, you know?" I placed my hand on top of his.

"Young love" Narcissa blurted out. For a moment, I forgot that there were two other people in the same exact room, and now I felt ashamed and embarrassed.

Lucius turned his attention to Narcissa "I remember when we used to think that way. Remember the time you got mad at me for talking to Kelly? You had such a huge fit but we talked it out and you became friends with Kelly not too long after" she began to laugh.

"I wonder how Kelly is doing now, it has been so long since I have spoken to her"

I pull my hand away from Malfoy's and sheepishly smiled, Malfoy felt my hand leave and turned his attention back towards me.

"Do you want to watch a movie while these two lovebirds reminisce?" I asked pointing to his parents.

"Yes please" he groaned and pushed himself away from the table, I laughed and followed him out.

We walked into the living room and I grabbed a VHS tape, putting it into the player. I sat down on the couch next to him when he pulled a blanket from off the back of the couch and gave it to me which I happily complied and took it.

"Is it weird that I don't want winter break to end?" I asked, he turned his head to look at me but my gaze was still fixated on the movie that played on the screen.

"I don't think so, at least I won't have to deal with Potter" he grumbled, I cracked a smile. But was it really just Harry that made him happy to be here? I wonder what the manor would be like if I didn't show up. I wonder what my adoptive family is doing, what they are saying.

"I think it's more so the other way around, you torture him all the time"

"He deserves it, he chose a mud blood over me" his voice lowered, almost as if he was ashamed of it. I scooted a little closer to Malfoy, nearly touching him.

"Don't beat yourself up about it, you don't need his validation. You have plenty of friends even if you don't see it" his body relaxed at my words.

"Yeah, yeah, shut up and watch the movie now" he waved me off, though it was apparent from his cheeks that the words hit a little too close to home for him.

"Alright" a shit eating grin rested upon my face and it would probably remain there for the rest of the night.