Chapter 3: midnight escape

Lying on the ground inside the tent, I couldn't shake the thoughts about the lieutenant and wondered about the reasons behind his unusual kind behavior towards me. He looks so cold hearted and intimidating but in reality, he's actually pretty sweet... ugh Serena, why are you even letting thoughts about him cross your mind?

Anyway, my mind revisited the memory of the guy who helped me at the cliff. I wondered if he belonged to the lieutenant's troops or if he was part of a different navy. I felt a bit uneasy when he offered his help. I mean, he was a bit of a jerk for pushing me... But, whatever, I'm just grateful he didn't turn out to be one of those complete jerks who wouldn't offer any help at all.

As midnight approached, time passed by, and I found myself unable to sleep. I couldn't figure out why. Despite being exhausted, sleep still became difficult which made the night quite frustrating.

"Maybe getting some fresh air will help," I say to myself as I head out of the tent.

I couldn't see anything at all; it was pitch dark. With no other option, I had to rely on my phone's flashlight.

Walking through the trees, I felt a profound calmness. The night air, with its fresh breeze, was soothing as it passed through my entire body.

Continuing my walk, I unexpectedly stumbled upon the same river pathway that the lieutenant and I had crossed earlier.

"No, I can't cross here again; I just know I'll end up falling down once more." I say to myself.

Turning my head to head back to my tent, my body froze. Shining my flashlight in their direction, I saw two foxes looking at me. Shivers ran down my spine; fear gripped me. What if they bite me? I need to get away now.

My instincts told me to run, so I did. Despite stumbling while crossing the river, I didn't care; survival was my priority. I couldn't afford to be caught by those foxes.

Continuing my run without a break, I eventually reached a large body of water, most likely the ocean.

Looking back, I couldn't see the foxes, but I could hear something approaching through the woods.

"Oh, no, what should I do?" I ponder to myself with a sense of worry.

As the sounds approached, I ended up doing the most foolish thing. I decided to enter the water, specifically the ocean. I submerged myself completely, going deep underwater.

"Oh gosh, I can't breathe. I need to get out of the water." I thought to myself while struggling to resurface above the water.

"Damn it, I can't swim!" I panicked, desperately trying to escape the water.

My face could barely break the surface of the water, only my hands visible. I did my best to create noise with my hands, hoping to attract the attention of anyone who could help me.

I should have known better. I'm going to die. No one is going to be here in this island to save me at this time.

I stopped treading water, released my hands, and slowly sank beneath the water.