Chapter 2

Rui... what was he doing? Or... more precisely... what had he done? That was his own father! How could he? But... at the same time... would Tsukasa have done the same, if he had seen the truth? Probably not.

"Rui... why? Why? Did you do it intentionally, to help me? My kingdom? Or my father? Did you do it solely to help your people? Do your people not fear us? I fear war, and I am a prince with guards. Rui... why?" Tsukasa whispered as he stared at himself in the bathroom mirror.

"Compose yourself. You have all that you need."

—-———————————————————————————————————————————

"Father, I have the information from the crown prince." Tsukasa announced.

"Tell me."

Tsukasa relayed all the information Rui told him to his father, all but the stories of Rui's childhood. And the fact that he had drugged his own father, to help his people.

"Thank you, Tsukasa. Tell the guards to announce that Rui Kamishiro, crown prince, shall be executed on the morning of the next day, at the rise of dawn. And you, child, shall have the honour of executing him."

"...yes, Father. Thank you, Father."

As Tsukasa was walking to the guards post, he felt... a slight sense of sadness, pity and ... another feeling he couldn't name.

What was going on with him? What was going on with Rui?

—-———————————————————————————————————————————

"Okay," the guard replied after Tsukasa informed him of the announcement.

Tsukasa nodded at him and walked towards his room. His room, where Rui was.

—-———————————————————————————————————————————

"You're here." Tsukasa said upon seeing Rui sitting on the floor, free from his chains. "Why are you..."

"Why am I not in chains? They were too tight, and poorly bound, for your information, so I just got out of them."

"If you could escape these chains, why didn't you escape, or try to escape?"

"How did you know I didn't try and fail to escape?"

Tsukasa gave Rui a pointed look.

"Fine, I didn't because... there's no point. Where would I go if I were to escape? My kingdom is yours, I have no family, what am I supposed to do?"

"You could have tried to start a revolution?"

"Thanks for the advice, but my people hate me, and the royal family. They think we're all corrupted and evil, and they're not to far from the truth."

"That can't be true-"

"No, it is. Even if you hadn't so barbarically invaded my country, the people would revolt sooner or later. It's kind of inevitable."

"..."

"..."

"You could have lived."

"...Tsukasa, I don't think you get it. My life has been fulfilled, or as much as it can be I don't want to live anymore, especially if I have no purpose. My people will be happier under you and your father's rule, I trust you."

"...oh."

"Oh, and tell me, when will I be executed, so I at the very least have something to look forward to.