Chapter 1: Winter Contingency

Data Log: Entry 1 Start

"So this is it. The higher ups have assigned me to a group called, "Noble Team". Guess my status as formerly enlisted made headlines to the promotion board. Annapolis was a time of challenge and fun, but my commission as Ensign was good. Now I'm a lieutenant, about to head into combat with my new team... I just wish I could do what I used to do back then, doing missions on my own that got the job done faster. My part as, "Lone Wolf", will have to be out on hold. Well, let's get started. End Data log entry.”

Dan Highway, former Senior Chief Petty Officer of the United States Navy, was now a lieutenant on route to his new headquarters for briefing. He was escorted by a marine driving a warthog and soon arrived at their destination, and Dan leaving to his assigned team. While walking, he hears someone talking.

??: Contact with Visigrad relay was lost last night. All signals flatlined at twenty-six hundred hours. I responded with trooper fire teams which have since been declared MIA.

??: And now you're sending us?

??: The office of Naval intelligence believes deployment of a Spartan team is a gross misallocation of valuable resources. I disagree.

Dan Highway enters the building, and a Spartan with a carved skull on the helmet looks at him while sharpening his knife. Dan is about to approach but is stopped by a female Spartan.

??: Commander?

A man in blue armour turns around while another Spartan makes a remark.

??: So that's our new number Six.

Dan Highway stands at attention.

??: Kat. You read his file?

??: Only the parts that weren't covered in black ink.

The commander turns around to face the computer.

??: Anyone claim responsibility sir?

??: ONI thinks it might be the local insurrection. Five months ago, they pulled a similar job on Harmony. Hit a relay to take out our eyes and ears, then stole two freighters from dry-dock. This cannot happen here. Reach is too damn important. I want the relay back on-line Noble 1.

??: Sir, consider it done.

??: Then I'll see you on the other side. Holland out.

Noble team then hears the Commander greet the newest noble six.

??: Lieutenant.

Dan: Commander, sir(At attention).

Carter: I'm Carter, Noble team's leader. That's Kat, Noble 2, Emile and Jorge, 4 and 5, and Jun outside, Noble 3. It's good to meet you, noble Six.

Dan: Thank you sir.

Carter: At ease, lieutenant.

Dan goes to parade rest.

Carter: Know and remember our ranks. I'm Commander, Kat is your lieutenant commander, Jun is Green Beret Army Captain. Emile is your First lieutenant of the Marine division, and Jorge is Chief Warrant Officer, status:Gunner. Understand?

Dan: Yes sir.

Carter: Good.(Sees his shoulder)Question, you navy seal? That emblem is rather appealing.

Dan: Yes sir. Became navy seal after my promotion to Chief Petty Officer.

Emile: Would you look at that, got ourselves a veteran sailor!

Carter: Impressive. That's all for brief. Noble team, out to the Falcons. Six, your riding with me.

They go outside where Carter continues to talk to six.