I'm My Own Enemy

"Oh hey is this seat taken?"

Who is talking to me? I'm trying to read my book in peace.

Looking up I see a female giving me a gentle smile waiting for a response from me. "N-no... I'm alone here..." I trip over my words as my mind races worried about this stranger.

"Oh okay" she takes her seat and I noticed her eyes flicked towards my book. Just leave me be... I just want to read my book... "What's that book about?" Damn it! I lower my book enough for my eyes to see her. Her legs in black tights, covered up by her jean skirt that, when sitting, rests just above her knees. A solid black sweater with a sleeveless jean jacket on top cover the rest of her athletic build. A black beanie topping her outfit off with what I believe to be jet black hair underneath.

"It's about an Apprentice... he doesn't fit in and no one wants to take him on as his Master..." I strained to speak as I could only feel the anxiety coming up the more I looked at this caramel skinned stranger. Now will you leave me alone? Please? She acknowledges what I shared with a nod and with a jolt as if she forgot something, "I'm sorry my name is Sylvia! What's yours?"

Just what do you want from me... "Marno..." My mind races as I feel like im only sucking myself more into this social trap. What's her game?! You don't just walk up to a stranger in a library or anymore public?! Is that a thing?! "Nice to meet you Marno" her warm voice snapping me out of my mind. I meet her eyes finally noticing her round Harry Potter-like spectacles resting on her nose.

She's cute... Ugh... I need to end this before I get more involved with her. Getting up I look down at her, "I'm sorry I have somewhere to be." Seeming to understand she nods and imitates my action by also standing up. "Oh okay, I'm sorry for distracting you from your book" she gestures towards the book I have close to my chest closed with my bookmark poking out. You're not sorry... Don't bug me... You just wanted someone to pay some attention to you.

I nod and without another word I walk away from her. You're almost out of here Marno. Keep it together.

The library that I frequent is quite a large one. With two floors all the books you can imagine are on the second floor. The first floor has event spaces, office areas, what I think is a book store and a small food area like a cafeteria. Pretty neat, but also pretty tranquil. "Oh hey Marno!" No no no... it's her again! I was enjoying my lunch and reading my book. The day was also fantastically gloomy just the perfect day for a good read and a morning coffee. Then she showed up...

Sylvia sat across from me at the table. The distance wasn't much so I felt her knees gently bump into mine when she was getting comfortable. "Do you work here or something?" she asked curious holding a starbucks cup in her hand that seems like it was just made. If I say yes will you bloody leave me in peace? "Yes... I do..." I had to bite my tongue to not say anything more I could regret. "That's so cool! No wonder I see you so much whenever I come here!" My heart races, but not in the 'In love' mode everyone expects. Are you stalking me or something lady?! "I don't remember seeing you before you spoke with me a few days ago..."

I hear an audible sigh coming from her. Yes, yes! Get disinterested! Leave me! I want to drink and read in peace yes! "You always do have your head in a book somewhere, so I can't give you too much grief." Her eyes slowly locking onto mine sent shivers down my spine. She had beautiful light brown eyes... Yuck. "What brings you here so much..." I ask just to form conversation and may potentially find a way to escape her. "I'm the literal definition of a bookworm. I burn through book series like my life depends on it. This place having so much variety and being so huge just attracts me here." Doesn't look like that's all you come here for... Give me my damn peace back...

She fixes her hair away from her face and that's when I caught strands of purple in her jet black hair. "I don't see you reading now... so..." Yes Marno! Shoo her! Get her away! "Why are you wasting time socializing?" Taking a sip of her drink it looked like she took that time to also think of a response. "You... are interesting Marno. At least that's the vibe I get whenever I see you." I blush clear as day. NO! What?! Me?! Interesting?! She's gaming me! I'm not going to be used again!

I quickly get up from my chair causing it to drag across the floor. The sound of the metal chair dragging echoes throughout the small cafeteria area. "I am not interesting. If you say you've been watching me for a while why NOW approach me? I don't believe that... I-I'm sorry, but excuse me." I storm out of the cafeteria as my mind berates me. "She just needs to leave me the hell alone..."

People are scum.