Chapter One

I woke up in the night, a cold sweat sticking my clothes to my back. I looked around, trying to see why my sleep had been disturbed. There was nothing. Unless it was them, but I couldn't hear the voices anymore. I haven't since they shocked me out of it. Sometimes I wish they would shock me back in. It's so lonely. All I have is Bentley, and she's out of her mind. I'm out of my mind too, but I can at least find my way back to it once and a while. I saw a flash of movement along the wall. I quickly turned, and saw nothing. More darkness. Strands of my light brown hair fell in front of my eyes. I pushed them back, looking around once more. After my final inspection, I let the exhaustion overtake me. 

   B Once I woke up again...a girl was standing in the corner of the padded room. My sister. My dead, poor sister. The sister I killed. "Oh, no. No, no, no. I thought it was over. They said it was over!" I yelled. A nurse burst in. "Miss Ashley, what's the matter?" I pointed to the corner. "She's right there! Allison is right there! She's actually back!" The woman looked around, sighing. "Miss Ashley, we've talked about this. You were getting better. We'll have to start it over." I shook my head rapidly. Starting over meant more treatment. More electrocution. More pain. "Please! No! I'm fine! I promise!" I begged, but the nurse just shook her head. "I have to consult with Dr. Larson. For now, lets go to the common room, shall we?" 

      The nurse led me to the common room, where I took a seat next to Bentley. She turned her head and smiled at me. Then, upon seeing my face, she frowned. "What is it, this time?" she asked, cocking her head. "I have to restart my treatment. I saw her again." Bentley narrowed her eyes. "That's certainly something to be sad about. I've had to restart my treatment quite a number of times. It's very unpleasant." She giggled. "But I'm me. My treatment is being locked away. Because I'm a psychopath, they say. I am not to be trusted. I'm homicidal and homosexual, two things that are very, very, bad to these people." She smiled again. Her smile was unnerving. Her eyes showed no sign of happiness, only fear, yet the smile was quite real.

I didn't understand what the difference between reality and fantasy was until now. I mean, I understood the two, but I never truly knew the difference, never had experienced the truth of reality until I was sent here. I then learned reality was electrocution because I'm different. Reality was more pain than a human should have to endure because I'm different from the rest of the world. Because I can see what others can't. I always thought it was a gift, but apparently it's a curse. At least, now it is. Because the voices get worse as the pain gets worse. At least I'm not as bad as Bentley. She murdered her entire family, and then couldn't remember any of it. She's been through so much here...her brain has been turned to pure liquid. She can barely think anymore. It's quite sad. 

My thoughts were disrupted by Bentley's voice. "James, do you ever see my family? I mean, I know that you...see things. But if it's real, do you ever see them? Do you know if they've forgiven me?" I put my hand on her shoulder. "Bentley, we've been over this. It's not real. I don't actually see them. It's all in my head." She nodded, swallowing. "Yeah. We've been over it. Sorry." She turned away, before I could see tears streaming down her face. 

I heard yelling coming from the left of me. "No! I won't! I won't stay here! I'm not crazy!" A boy was yelling. Then he pointed at me. "You. I know you! I fucking know you!"