XI

There's only 1 hour left.

You had only 1 hour left to decide about Jareth's confession; about the future he was proposing for you. He could bring you whatever you desired, and all you had to do was serve him, and he would serve you.

You twisted the crystal ball mindlessly in your fingers, only half watching Harry as he scouted the final stretch of the labyrinth. He was surrounded by material junk; navigating through items that used to be nostalgic and familiar, but now only served purpose to distract him. You couldn't focus on him; you could only focus on what he had done, how he had driven you to wish him away to the goblins, how he drove you to want revenge for his betrayal.

Could you really do it? Could you really abandon the life you had made for yourself in return for everything you desired? Wasn't that seen as selfish?

You thought hard about your parents, who lived in another part of the country. They would obviously miss you, but they wouldn't notice that you were gone until you'd stop returning their calls. Would Harry tell them about your choice? Would he call you selfish? Would he inform them that you had betrayed him in return for his initial betrayal? And if you were to return home again, what would become of your life, and what would become of the Goblin King?

You'd loved Harry once. You'd given yourself to him and you'd doted on him. Harry was never a bad person until he chose another; he'd always cared for you, treated you well. He had supported your dreams despite his aggressive argument; he'd encouraged you through the tough trials of life. Harry was your rock once, the root of your existence. He was familiar and all that you knew of adult relationships. Of partnerships.

You could easily leave Jareth's world and return with Harry. You could work things out about his infidelity. You could mend your relationship.

But did you really want that?

There was only 40 minutes left.

Harry was only part way through the junkyard. The Goblin City loomed in the distance. It was far more menacing than what you remembered. It looked like a barren wasteland, born to be intimidating to anybody that dared to trespass there.

You chewed on your bottom lip while curling yourself up on Jareth's throne. The throne room was completely empty; the goblins had scattered the moment Jareth ordered them away, allowing you the time you needed to be with your thoughts.

The goblins.

Could you truly live in coexistence with them? They had been human once, only now they were stripped of their humanity. You wondered if you'd grow accustomed to their trickster tendencies. If you'd grow fond of their presence. Jareth seemed mildly annoyed at times with them, but all the same he must enjoy their company or else he wouldn't keep them.

30 minutes.

Harry's leg was stuck inside a box. He toppled forwards and aggressively tried to scramble free, his mouth moving fast as he yelled in frustration.

Had he always been so...

Aggressive?

You couldn't recall a time where he'd ever raised his voice at you before, nor to anyone within your presence. This could easily be the cause of your betrayal to him; it could easily be the result of his betrayal to you. This development could have been brewing the entire time he met with Casey, when he'd shower her in the same affections that he once gave to you only.

The door opened to your right. You trailed from your thoughts and sat yourself upright, watching curiously as a beat trail of goblins entered in almost silence. They whispered and muttered amongst themselves, seeming nervous yet excited. You tucked the crystal ball into your pocket and stood up from your seat, wondering what was about to happen.