Defense Against

"She's so... smug."

The hallway is loud with chatter, and you've never been more excited to leave defense against the dark arts.

"Tell me about it," You twirl your wand in your fingers as you talk, bumping shoulders with Dean Thomas as the two of you make your way through the flurry of people. "Who does she think she is?"

"I rather like her," A figure shoves between you and Dean, a heavy arm slinking over your shoulders. Draco. "Real powerful, don't you think?"

He wears the same smirk as always, head tilted back ever so slightly to bear his neck in superiority. You can't find it in yourself to be surprised he's an Umbridge suck-up.

"And what would you know about being powerful?" You roll your eyes and curl away from him. The three of you stop walking, and Dean backs off to watch as you turn to face Draco. "You have to run to your father for everything."

You jab a finger into Draco's chest, pushing into his personal space. He sneers at you. Hands land at your collarbones, shoving you back. Catching yourself on a wobbly step, you get closer again and push him in return.

Draco falls much farther, balance faltering. He bends slightly, and looks up at you with a split-second expression of fear before malice tugs his face into a scowl. His cheeks go red. How cute.

He puffs his chest out and puts a single foot forwards in your direction before Umbridge's obnoxious voice breaks your focus. She clears her throat, and you notice that it's only you, Draco, and Dean left by the classroom.

She stares at the three of you with a condescending smile, eyebrows up-turned pitifully as if daring you to make another sound.

You roll your eyes and Draco huffs through his nose. As you turn away from Umbridge, your eyes meet Draco's and you mouth, dumb weasel, before pulling Dean away by the arm and leaving Draco to glare in your direction as you disappear down the hallway.