A short train ride brought Vera deeper into the city, where the grand library was only a brisk walk away. By the time she arrived at the station, the sun had fully disappeared behind the skyline. Throngs of fae awaiting their chance to ride home crowded the train station. When she stepped out of the train car, whispers rippled through the crowd and many of them peeled back from her, lips curling in disgust as their narrowed gazes swept over her. Even this deep in the city, her status as a magic-less fae was well known. Holding her chin high, Vera wriggled through the swarm of overly eager passengers and avoided those that cast her disdainful looks. She clutched her bag against her chest and suppressed the squirm of discomfort in her chest until she broke free. Behind her, the shrill whistle of the train sounded and steam filled the air as it pulled out for another trip down the tracks. Finally away from the crowd, Vera slung her purse over her shoulder and headed down the streets toward the library.

The grand, ornate building glittered in the moonlight, silver lining its majestic arches and windows. Lights flickered on inside and bathed the street in a warm orange, a stark contrast to the rich blue shadows that lingered in dark corners untouched by street lamps. She pushed open the old doors, greeted by their creaking hinges that echoed in the still air. As always, the only sounds were the hushed whispers of scholars, the rustle of papers, clothes, and feet, and the occasional chime of the large clock above the door. Softly, she slid the doors shut before wandering off into the rows of neatly-shelved books.

Her eyes scanned the spines as she walked, searching for anything that seemed related to the constant waning of the moon and the rumors of the monster at the source of confusion. Her fingers tingled with excitement, her shame from her fight with Wyn almost forgotten. If she killed that monster and restored fae power to the way it should be, her status as a magic-less fae would be irrelevant. Even the High Council could not ignore someone who had saved the Moon Court from a crisis. She would no longer be a burden to her family, a painful reminder to her parents that one of their children would never amount to anything.

When nothing caught her eye, she turned down another row of books and slammed right into a stiff form. She stumbled and bumped the edge of the shelf, sending a pang throughout her shoulder. Her face flushed. "Sorry. I wasn't—"

"Vera?"

Puzzled by the familiar voice, she jerked her head up to meet her father's eyes, which revealed a similar confusion to hers swirling in their depths. A warm smile settled on his face as he gave her a quick once over, steadying her with a hand against her arm. He was dressed in a smart blue coat, similar in color to the one she had left in Eileen's care, and it no doubt bore the Reite family crest on the back of it. The pendant of a scholar hung from his neck, gleaming in the light like the lenses of his glasses. In one arm, he was carrying a wooden box packed full of old, dusty books, their spines peeled and crumbling with age. One had the symbol of the crescent moon stamped in silver on its leather cover.

"It's so late. What are you doing here?" he asked. His smile dropped into a knowing frown. "Did your mother send you all the way here for me? I told her I would be home late."

Vera shook her head and folded her hands behind her back, rocking on her heels. "Actually I came to do some reading. Eileen and I were talking about the..." Hesitating, she glanced around before lowering her voice. "The moon crisis. I was doing some thinking and I wanted to know if we have records of it."

"For what?"

"Just a passing interest." She shrugged, keeping her expression plain to hide the lies on her tongue. Words were a fae's weapon. She had only to weave them together correctly and then the world was hers. "It's fascinating stuff. I thought maybe if I learned more about the Moon Court faes' primal connection to the moon, I might be able to understand why my magic never bloomed."