Chapter 16 - In Which (Yet Another) Identity is Revealed

The walk was tense and silent and Tracey began to regret ever having run into the disagreeable pairing. While she did not mind the company of Wyndham, as he was rather pleasant and conversational, Maybelle made it clear with every movement, glare, and sigh that she would rather be anywhere else than within the vicinity of Ms. Higgenbottom.

To end such an awkward arrangement would have been a deserved mercy. Thankfully, it did end — shortly before Tracey executed her plan to split and go back for a "misplaced item".

"Tracey!" said a voice from ahead. "We were beginning to wonder where you were!" Tracey felt a surge of relief as she identified the owner of the voice belonging to Mittie. "What took you so long?" Mittie finished.

"Hello!" Tracey said with a wave. "I had gotten lost. Wyndham was kind enough to show me the way to the dining hall," she said, gesturing to the pair.

"Thank you, Wyndham," Mittie said, nodding. "I always can count on you to help out!"

Wyndham hesitated. "A pleasure as always, Ms. Nidaye," he finally said with a bow to Mittie. "And you must be Ms. Higgenbottom's friends, I take it?" he said, glancing at the group.

"Why are there more guests?" Maybelle hissed to Wyndham, her eyebrows shooting up and voice just loud enough that the others could hear. "Is this dinner not supposed to be exclusive?"

"Yes, this is an exclusive event, Maybelle," Mittie replied, "but they're my friends. Meet my personal guests."

Maybelle lowered her eyes, the tips of her ears turning a brilliant red.

"Allow me to introduce you," Mittie continued. "As you may know, Ms. Higgenbottom is a good friend of mine from my travels in Mondon, Charlie and Harriet gave me a warm welcome upon my arrival to the city — not to mention that they had shown me the truest parts of Mondon. And as for Bentam...he may be grouchy, but he's proven to be a loyal and reliable friend."

Tracey smiled, feeling rather flustered. I'm glad to have found a friend in her, she thought. To think we'd only met because she saw Mr. Porter's kidnapping!

She couldn't help but feel a twinge of vindication upon seeing Maybelle's shocked expression as she stared between Tracey and Mittie. Wyndham, on the other hand, did not appear to be nearly as shocked. As a matter of fact, he was more focused on the buttons of his vest than on listening to Mittie's introductions. How peculiar... Tracey thought.

"As for my Mondon friends, meet some of my acquaintances," Mittie continued. "Bentam, Harriet, and Charlie: meet Maybelle. She is a local model who has been traveling the country up until recently."

Maybelle's eyes narrowed. "Travelling the country?" she said. "I'll have you know I've traveled out of the country on my most recent tour! Painters are in high demand of a face such as mine."

Mittie paused and raised an eyebrow. "And meet our family painter!" she continued, ignoring the statement. "This is W—"

"Wyndham," Bentam finished. "Wyndham Boran?"

Mittie stared. "Yes," she finally said. "Do you know him?"

"Yes, I do," he said. He frowned. "When Tracey said there was a painter named Wyndham, I thought it may have been a small coincidence that I have a friend of the same name. But no — this is the same Wyndham!"

"Meaning?" Maybelle said, raising an eyebrow. "Wyndham, do you two know each other?"

Wyndham, who up until now was still fastening his buttons, finally raised his eyes and bashfully returned Bentam's stare. "If I had known you'd be here, Ben," he said, "I wouldn't have gone through all of this trouble to create a ruse."