Chapter 14 - Can I Get That In A To-Go Cup?

The flight to the Lars homestead was silent, only broken so often by R2's soft beeps as he watched the movements outside the expansive windows. Secretly, I think he was searching for attractive droids but I let him keep that little fact to himself. After all, droids had lives, too, right?

My dark gaze shifted to Anakin then as he expertly flew the Nubian starship through the air, his cerulean eyes intense and unreadable as he concentrated on the skyline. Pursing my lips in thought, I bit back a sigh. I had to admit I'd been worried about him ever since leaving Watto's shop. Not only could this trip be bringing back awful memories of his former servitude but also haunting thoughts of his mother and her unknown whereabouts. Knowing him, he was silently berating himself for not checking up on her the moment those dreams of his started to surface months ago.

It was at that moment that I truly wished nothing had transpired back on Naboo between the two of us, that we had never crossed those illicit lines. Maybe if we hadn't then we would be talking now, I could actually console him and yet...

"This must be it." Padme announced suddenly, ripping me from my thoughts as she tapped the screen.

Getting out of my seat to stride over to one of the windows to gaze out, I caught sight of a lone moisture farm situated on the Great Salt flat ahead. It was a dangerous place to live, deep in the Jundland Wastes as it was. As I understood it, there were numerous Tusken Raider camps nearby.

After shrugging on my wool-spun brown cloak, I followed on Anakin's heels as he led the way down the ramp. The Tatooine sand was scorching underneath my boots as we walked over to an unfinished silver protocol droid standing just outside.

"Oh! Hello! How might I be of service?" the droid asked immediately upon seeing the three of us, "I am C-"

"-3PO?" Anakin finished for him questioningly.

The poor droid was flustered by the familiarity in Anakin's tone and I grinned, fighting a laugh. So this was the droid that Anakin had worked so hard on for his mother. He was amazing!

After a few stutters, the droid's photoreceptors lit up with recognition and he exclaimed, "The maker! Oh, Master Ani, I knew you would return! I knew it! And Miss Padme, oh my!"

Padme shot him a smile from underneath her velvet blue hood, "Hello, Threepio."

"Bless my circuits, I'm so pleased to see you both!" he chirped in response before turning to me slightly, "But I'm afraid we haven't been introduced. I am C-3PO, human-cyborg relations,"

I smiled over at the polite protocol droid, "Pleasure to meet you, C-3PO. I'm Jetta Aroo, a...friend...of Anakin's..."

The word lingered in the air like a curse but Anakin quickly changed the subject, "I've come to see my mother,"

C-3PO hesitated a moment before replying, "Oh, um...I think perhaps we better go indoors."

Sharing a covert worried glance with Padme, the three of us followed the droid inside into the courtyard area. There we were quickly introduced to Anakin's stepbrother, Owen, and his girlfriend, Beru.

"Is my mother here?" Anakin asked abruptly, clearly not interested in meeting these newfound relatives of his.

"No, she's not," a voice said, gaining our attention as an older man in a hoverchair moved towards us before holding out his hand to Anakin, "Cliegg Lars. Shmi is my wife... We should go inside. We have a lot to talk about..."

I could sense the man's muted pain through the Force and glancing at Anakin as we followed Cliegg, I knew he could sense it, too...and it worried him to no end. Taking a seat around the small white table, I sat by Anakin while Padme took a seat to my left.

"It was just before dawn, they came out of nowhere: hunting party of Tusken Raiders," Cliegg began to tell the story, "Your mother had gone out early like she always did, to pick mushrooms that grow on the vaporators. From the tracks, she was about halfway home...when they took her..."

I felt ripples of anxiety emanating from Anakin, his face expressionless as he listened.

"Those Tuskens walk like men, but they're vicious, mindless monsters. Thirty of us went out after her. Four of us came back. I'd be out there with them but...after I lost my leg, I...just couldn't ride anymore...until I heal,"

With an aching heart for him, my hand reached out underneath the table to squeeze Anakin's gently in an act of comfort but he only pulled away in response. I tried to hide the hurt on my face at this but let it be. After all, he was in more pain than I could imagine right now.

"I don't want to give up on her but she's been gone a month," Cliegg continued before shaking his head, "There's little hope she's lasted this long."

Anakin was silent but the Force spoke volumes as waves of anger, sadness, and worry coalesced from his side of the table. He stood up then, turning to walk out when Owen stopped him, "Where are you going?"

"To find my mother." Anakin said grimly, glaring over at his stepbrother.

"Your mother is dead, son. Accept it." Cliegg told him, his words lingering in the air like poisonous smoke.

But Anakin only shook his head slightly, unable to believe this. Padme, who had been watching him, let her eyes flit down to her lap in muted sympathy for her friend. As the others discussed the events that had transpired here only a month prior, I excused myself from the kitchen before quickly writing a note for Padme that I left with C-3PO and a special request for blue milk in a to-go cup later.

Anakin was exactly where I thought he would be, standing outside gazing at the horizon as the two suns began to set. My feet were silent on the sand as I walked over to him but as always, he felt my arrival regardless.

Turning to face me, a sigh escaped from between his lips, "You're gonna have to stay here. Watch over Padme. I'll be back as soon as..."

He trailed off then, not knowing how to finish that sentence. But I didn't let the conversation linger enough for him to attempt to.

"No, I'm going with you, Ani," I told him, shaking my head so hard that my Padawan braid snapped the back of my neck, "I'll help you find her. We've always been better together, right?"

"I once thought so..." Anakin retorted but continued on as my face fell, "Look, you're staying, Jet, and that's final. These are good people. You'll be safe here-"

"-and so will Padme," I cut him off, eyebrows arched in defiance, "I am going. No way am I letting you go on your own out there. You need someone to watch your back and that someone has always been me!"

"You could get hurt out there, Jetta! I'm not letting you!" Anakin shot back angrily, blue eyes hard.

"Well, tough poodoo because I'm going anyway!" I shouted back at him, lips pursed and eyebrows knitted together in simmering anger.

Anakin and I scowled at each other for a matter of seconds before rolling his eyes, he relented and we walked over to Owen's rusted speeder bike we were commandeering. Pushing his long brown cloak back and swinging a leg over, he hopped on. Following suit, I jumped on behind him before biting my lip.

"Is it okay, if I, um..." I hesitated with a soft sigh, not knowing what to do with my hands, "Do I...is it-is it okay if I-"

Silently understanding the predicament, Anakin gently reached around and grabbed my hands before placing them securely around his waist. Flush against him, I could feel the warmth of his body emanating through the rough spun material of his tunic. Revving up the engine then, the speeder shot off into the distance.

Author's Note: Fun fact: The last scene with Anakin & Jetta on the speeder bike was inspired by The Mortal Instruments movie scene of Jace & Clary on the motorbike ;) I hope everyone enjoyed the chapter!