Chapter 1: Plunge into Space

December 22, 2023

"So, Pence-Pence, how're you feeling?"

A small, pink van drives along the road between tall, concrete buildings. The driver is tall with copper skin and pink hair held up with a gray sweatband. In the passenger seat is a woman of similar height with her cherry-red hair kept in a bun.

"Very excited. I mean, this is the trip. The trip! This is what we have been working for our entire lives!"

The gray towers start to fade, turning into short blades of green. The driver jumps in her seat and giggles. The redhead can't help but smirk at her friend's joy. She doesn't say it aloud, but she's excited as well.

After half an hour of driving, the van crosses a sign that reads "Terrestrial Locator Center" and enters a parking lot. Across from the lot is a modern, futuristic building which has the same words as the ones from the sign. The two exit the car, and the driver unlocks the trunk. She takes out an orange suitcase while the other gets a matching red suitcase.

The two walk through the glass doors, subconsciously holding hands, into a dome with a glass ceiling. On the ground is a mosaic of a rocket being launched from a blue-green planet. Across from the doors is a desk surrounded by two doors. They approach the desk which houses a broad receptionist with maroon hair.

"Good afternoon, how may I help you?"

The pink-haired woman lets go of her friend to take out a laminated card which has her name, "Penelope Cill," and picture. "We're here for the launch to Goiky. We'll be on the flight."

The receptionist slightly bows their head in acknowledgement. "And what about you, Miss?"

The redhead takes out a similar card, featuring her name, "Macie Walker," and picture. The receptionist bows again. "The doors on the left."

"We know where it is, thank you!" Penelope interrupts the receptionist as she drags Macie and their luggage through the door and halls that follow.

"Wow, Pence-Pence, slow down!"

After bumping into a few researchers, they make it to a large room, not unlike the halls and other rooms, having sleek, white walls and mostly clean tile floors. Numerous desks, shelves, and instruments litter the room. An elevated platform is found on the far end of the room, supporting a door and a broad-shouldered man who looks similar to the receptionist except for having a tar-black buzzcut.

He notices the two enter and begins, "Now that Penelope and Macie are here, there are 20, meaning all of you are here; I can start the briefing:

"As you all know, you will be going on a day-long flight to the exoplanet, Goiky, to conduct research and report your findings. You will be split into two ships: the Cherry, holding Benjamin Biro, Penelope Cill, Blaine Key, Piper Moore, Erin Nairne, Woody Ochroma, Bubbles Palmate, Spencer Porifera, Flare Ryan, and Macie Walker; and the Grape, holding Floryn Begonia, Gabriella Benjamin, Taylor Bertrand, Shaun Boone, Isabel Cub, Lea Fir, Connor Nesley, Rocky Sedman, Nelly Spoll, and Catherine Torp. Lea Fir will pilot the Grape which will be launching first. After the Grape has left the atmosphere, the Cherry will follow after, being piloted by Piper Moore. Once both ships have landed, I will contact you all from the ship radios. Now, before you board the ship,"

He walks over to a rack holding space suits and drags it over. "You'll need to put on these space suits. I'm sure I don't have to explain their purpose. Once you're done, meet me outside."

The man leaves through the elevated door, and the 20 people scramble towards the rack to put on their suits. The first one to exit the building with their suit on is a woman with big, hazel eyes and green hair smushed against the back of her helmet. She runs up to the man with a smile.