Day 3

Lyra begins wailing the moment she comes to consciousness. On top of that, her hand hurts more than before. Impossibly, the cut looks longer and deeper, and it's bleeding even faster. Lyra tries to stumble to the bathroom, a wave of nausea hitting her. Her instincts tell her that this is the blood magic, taking its payment for restarting the day once more.

Jake feels a sense of urgency from the instant he awakens. His concern drives him to go to Lyra immediately, not even bothering to try to call her first. Jake knocks frantically when he arrives at her room, speaking through the door in a worried tone.

"Lyra!? Lyra?? Are you okay in there? Please...let me in! Please." He tries turning the knob repeatedly and is seriously considering breaking down the door if she doesn't open it soon.

Lyra is on the floor of the bathroom when he arrives, dry heaving as her stomach rolls. Blood runs unchecked from the wound on her hand. She hears Jake, and starts to crawl toward the door, leaving a trail of blood behind her. She lifts her hand and barely reaches the lock to disengage it, then rests against the wall.

Jake rushes to Lyra and crouches down next to her. "Lyra, what happened?!"

"I feel sick."

She clutches her hand to her chest. It's excruciatingly painful, and is still bleeding heavily.

Jake notices how much Lyra is shaking, as well as indications of her intense pain. He gently but quickly tries to examine her hand again to see how bad it is. Then he talks to her in a calm but urgent tone. "I'm going to carry you to the bed and take a look at your hand again, okay?"

His worry flows through their bond. She can't even protest, despite the nagging, insidious voice in her head saying that she probably weighs too much for Jake to lift. She nods, knowing she can't stand up right now.

Jake carefully carries Lyra over to the bed and then lays her down as softly as he possibly can. He leans close to her, tenderly pushing some hair back from her face. "I'm going to check out your hand again."

As he tries to gently clean it and apply pressure to the wound, he talks to her in a conciliatory, quiet voice.

"I'm so sorry about everything, Lyra..."

She looks up at him in surprise; she blames him for nothing. "This is not your fault, Jake. And aside from that, you must know that I would do anything to help you, without regret. What happens to me doesn't matter."

"It definitely matters! Lyra, you are more important to me than anything else. Which is why I am going to do everything in my power to keep you safe."

Lyra smiles weakly at him, tears in her eyes. She watches him examine her hand with such care and attention. "And I will do the same for you."

"Thank you, Lyra. I don't think you understand how much I appreciate the way you care about me," he smiles warmly.

Lyra can feel his soft breaths on her arm as he continues to press bandages on her wound. She is starting to feel slightly better, so she tries to sit up. Jake's gentle touch on her shoulder keeps her in place; he wants to keep the cut above her heart to aid in clotting.

"I will always care about you, Jake. That is true if you are here...or if you have to go away." She touches his cheek lightly with her free hand. He looks down at her, feeling himself start to blush and smile again from the simple but kind gesture.

"You are amazing. And I promise you, I am not going anywhere if I can help it."

Lyra smiles at his blush. She knows that he will have to leave, probably after the time loop ends, so that he can stay ahead of the FBI. But she doesn't want to think about it right now. "I'm glad, because I've gotten used to being near you."