Chapter Eight

When the LPD had everyone's statements, they left, leaving only me and Xoana. We sat in my living room, and she stared at my broken door before her eyes found mine. Worry once again, filling them. As much as I loved Xoana and appreciated her protectiveness, I hated that she felt the need to be my keeper.

Then again, it was my fault she was the way she was. For so long, I let people push me around, never feeling the need to fight back. Even after Ome appeared. I made myself the damsel in distress, but now I was ready to shed that awful skin. I'm no damsel and was surely tired of being in distress. Ome growled in delight at the new view I had of myself.

"Hey, how about you come to my place tonight? You can stay in my extra bedroom. For as long as you want, Jay." She was smiling, but the concern in her eyes was evident.

"No, I'm good, Xo. But thanks for the offer. I just want to get to bed and sleep."

"Jay, the bolt and doorknob are lying on the floor. How the hell are you going to stay here without being able to lock the door? Please, stay with me for tonight. What if he comes back? He'll be able to walk right in." Her hands took mine, squeezing them lightly.

I didn't mean to snicker, but it slipped. "I'll be fine. The sofa will be against the door for now. It's not like the door was ripped off its hinges. I just won't be able to lock it. Antonio won't come back, at least not tonight. The LPD said they'll have some patrol cars downstairs, just in case. Even if he is a council member's son, drunk, and pissed off, he won't risk anything again. The LPD won't interfere the first time, but he'd force their hand with a second." I shrugged. "He's an asshole, but not stupid."

She let out a defeated sigh. "Fine, but if anything, and I mean any fucking thing, happens, call me. Okay?"

"I will. You know I will. Don't worry, Xo. I called you the first time, didn't I?" I smiled.

"Yeah, you did." She smiled back. "Well, stay safe. I gotta get back to Mercy and Neron. I'm sure they're dying to know what the hell just went on." Her tone was free and easy, but the side look she gave me was waiting for a reaction.

"Whoa, Mercy? And Neron? We need to do some major catching up." I laughed.

"I'll pop on by tomorrow after work then. Same place as always?" Her nose scrunched up with the smile she gave me.

"Of course," I replied happily.

After a last hug, she was out. I blocked my door with my sofa as promised. It might not keep a giant Lycan out, but it would keep other intruders from waltzing in, and that was all the assurance I needed. I was able to handle Antonio moments ago, so I knew I would easily be able to again. The smile that formed across my face couldn't be helped.

Regardless of this newfound and intoxicating confidence, as I lay in bed, the events that had transpired earlier kept replaying in my mind, making it difficult to fall asleep. I grabbed my phone off the bedside table, wanting to play some of the games I had, hoping they would bore me enough to let me drift off into a deep sleep. Just as they did, an erratic knock came at my front door.

In a panic, I jolted up on my bed. My heart raced, and all signs of sleep had disappeared. He couldn't be back so soon and wouldn't dare; I was sure of it. I stood up as another knock, a softer one, sounded. Steadily and quietly, I went to the door, climbing over the sofa to look out of the peephole.

A breath left me as the smell of his cologne filled my nose, instantly relaxing me. He stood there patiently yet anxiously waiting for me to answer. His head hung low with a hand resting on the door frame. My lips formed a smile. Hopping off the sofa, I pushed it away from the door, opened it, and stepped aside for him. His eyes roamed over my body.