Aaliyah pt. iii

Everybody was having a wonderful time. I let down my guard, no longer feeling the need to pretend to be someone else. The only person I needed to keep up appearances with was locked in the study with my father and Dr. Abdali. I entertained the guests just like I normally do. Naomi barely said anything, looking bored if anything else; we seemed to, in a way, revert to our roles. While I made sure everybody at the party was entertained, there was a pestering thought in my head throughout. My mind inadvertently went to my father's study, more so the people within. My curiosity wanted to know just what exactly is holding them in that study—just what exactly are they talking about that's keeping them in that room for such a prolonged time. My eyes would often glance at the door, and I had to fight the urge to eavesdrop on their conversation.

After a brief internal struggle, I succumbed to the lure, moving stealthily toward the study. The door became my clandestine confidant as I pressed my ear against its wooden surface. The subdued voices inside teased with elusive fragments of a heated discussion.

Suddenly, the door swung open wide, startling me into an unsteady retreat. Dr. Sinclair-Harrington stood there, her countenance subtly revealing a sense of disquiet.

"Can I help you?" she inquired, her gaze momentarily faltering.

Caught off guard, I mustered a weak smile. "Oh, no, sorry. I was just coming to ask if you will all come to enjoy the party." Concern painted my features as I asked, "Is everything alright in there?"

"Yes, we're fine. I don't know about the others but I have to go now." She was walking away not wanting for her to go. I called out to her.

"Really? You're not going to stay a little longer."

"Yes, why don't you stay a little longer." My father approached her standing beside her. I observed her stern gaze on him. "Please consider the proposal we're offering you."

"There's nothing to think about, I've already made up my mind. If you'll excuse me I must leave." As Dr. Sinclair-Harrington walked away, I couldn't resist calling out to her, "Are we still meeting tomorrow, as you mentioned?"

She turned, her expression unreadable. "I can't. We'll need to reschedule another time, but don't worry I will keep my word. Goodbye for now."

My dad and I watched as she faded into the distance, my eyes caught Dr. Abdali in the doorway, silently witnessing the interaction blankly.

Just what exactly were they talking about?

"Aaliyah, come over here," my father's call pierced through my contemplation, startling me. The apprehension of an imminent scolding gripped me, I obediently approached him, all while trying to find a way to get out of the situation. But ultimately I resorted to outing my sister.

"It wasn't my idea it was Naomi, she was the one who wanted to switch roles."

"That's not what I'm concerned about Lia."

"Then what?" I inquired.

"About you eavesdropping. What exactly did you hear? Tell me and for your own good you better be honest with me." He demanded, his face was stern and voice unyielding.

Caught off guard by the severity of his tone, I struggled to recall if I had ever faced such sternness from him before.

"I didn't listen to anything," I quickly insisted.

"Aaliyah," he lowered his voice, "don't lie to me. I taught you better than that."

His accusation hung in the air, and I responded with an earnest plea, "I'm telling the truth. Why would I lie?"