5) A Cat Joins the Family - L Lawliet

In which you two adopt a cat!

.

.

.

v

"Finally! We're moved in," Y/n smiles tiredly. L and Y/n had recently gotten married, after they had finally solved the Kira case together. Now, they can finally settle down. They had just moved in together, all unpacked and organized. On the living room couch, L sits by Y/n, his arm around her.

"So, what do you wanna do first?" L asks, holding her close. "I'm not sure, however I've been thinking about something for a while," she answers, a little nervous. "Oh, what is it? Don't be nervous, I'm open to anything," he smiles reassuringly. "Do you wanna get a cat?" Y/n asks, catching L off guard a little. "A cat, you say?" he grins thoughtfully. "I honestly didn't take you for a cat person, but I think that could work!"

Y/n's eyes light up. "Oh, really? Yay!" she laughs, giving him a hug, which he returns affectionately. "Yeah, let's go tomorrow," L says after a few seconds of silence. "Sounds like a plan! What should we do in the meantime?" she counters, and he thinks for a moment. "For now, we should relax. After all, we just unpacked and everything," L suggests, and Y/n nods. "I'd like that. Are you up for a movie?"

~•~

That night, Y/n falls asleep next to L on the couch as the movie plays. As per usual, L doesn't sleep, his insomnia getting the better of him. However, that doesn't stop him from cuddling with her. Sometime in the middle of the night, Y/n wakes up to see L still awake. "Hey, you need to sleep!" she points out, slightly worried for his well-being. "I still have insomnia," he answers tiredly.

"I'm not letting you stay up all night, cmere," she responds, determined. Y/n carefully rests L's head on her lap, starting to play with his hair. "That's really not necessary, but it does feel nice..." he comments, closing his eyes. He eventually falls asleep in her lap with a content smile, which makes her smile too.

~•~

The next morning, L wakes up first. Still groggy, he hugs Y/n's waist, not wanting to get up. Y/n wakes up, noticing that and not really having a reaction at first. She's still tired herself. "Good morning," the girl murmurs softly, and L finally gets up. However, he still has his arms around her tightly. "Hi," L answers, his face hidden in Y/n's hair, causing her to giggle. "You're so cute," she says, and his face heats up just a little. He lets go, sitting next to her on the couch.

"I'm going to go get ready," he says, trying to hide his flustered face. "Oh, yeah! I forgot about getting a cat today!" Y/n's face brightens in happiness. "I'll go get ready too, let's go out for breakfast later," she suggests, and L nods, hiding a smile.

~•~

Finally, L and Y/n are ready to go. L's wearing his usual clothing, white shirt and blue jeans, however his shirt isn't baggy for once. He wears a black jacket and black shoes with his outfit, since it's cold outside (No, he doesn't go outside barefoot normally help). Y/n is wearing [insert warm outfit, I'm not making up outfits because I don't feel like getting backlash if someone doesn't like something I make them wear :)], and she waits by the door for him.

"Let's go," L says, giving Y/n a peck on the cheek. "Yeah, let's go!" the girl responds excitedly, making him chuckle. Cute, he thinks to himself with a small grin. Taking her hand, they both walk to the car, L in the driver's seat, Y/n in the passenger seat. They drive to the pet store shelter thingy idk what to call it because it's one am and I'm tired, but I'm still writing so please be happy :')

~•~

At the pet store, Y/n immediately goes off to look for a cat, pulling L along with her, although he doesn't mind at all. He genuinely loves seeing her excited and happy like this. "Any that catch your interest, love?" he asks, and she giggles. "Not yet, but they're all so cute! It's so hard to choose..." Y/n answers with a sigh. You're cuter, he thinks to himself, making sure that he's still holding her hand.

A black and white cat catches Y/n's eye and she immediately goes over to look at it. However, while she does, L notices a random guy in the back watching her. Making a mental note of that, he does everything he can to stay close to his wife. It's making him quite protective.

"This is the one!" she declares, gently cradling the cat. "It's adorable," L admits. "It kind of looks like a cat version of you," Y/n suddenly blurts, then puts a hand over her mouth, averting her eyes in embarrassment. L laughs, giving her a hug. "Aww, no need to be shy about it. What would you name the cat?" he tilts his head in curiosity. "I was thinking of naming it Ryuzaki," she says thoughtfully, and he chuckles again. "I like that. However, it isn't because that was my code name, was it?" he teases. "Yesn't," she responds.

"You're adorable, I can't say it enough," L ruffles her hair. "Oh, shush," she mumbles.

~•~

Back at their new house, they lay on the couch together, with the cat on Y/n's lap. "Hey, I think it's my turn," L says, picking the cat up and laying it on his own lap. "I guess, I guess," Y/n sighs reluctantly. "Aw, don't worry," he smiles at her, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Ryuzaki seems to like you more than me anyway."

He gives her a kiss on the forehead, and she giggles a little. "You two are so much alike, no wonder he likes me more!" she teases him, and he rolls his eyes playfully. "Whatever. Anyways, I'm happy you're happy," he confesses, and Y/n hugs him again. "I love you." "I love you too, Y/n," L counters.

The cat definitely was a good idea.

A/n - it's currently 1:30 in the morning, I'm sorry if even though it's proofread there are some mistakes. I'll edit it later, but I hope you liked the oneshot!