Chapter 1

I looked around the room. Nothing seemed unusual, but then I had the urge to sneak out of my room. Making sure that no one was looking outside, I climbed out my bedroom window, down the rusty fire escape and onto the concrete ground. After climbing down a fifty-foot fire escape into an alley, I started walking down the alley, looking for parts for my science project. I knew that deep down inside, I was different, different from the other kids my age there.

When I reached the main street of the alley that stood between the orphanage and the coffee shop next door, I started thinking about what is really so special, so unique about me that even the other kids knew I was different from them. Being different was hard enough at school when everyone there knew that I was a freak, especially when I had to use my powers to get a book off of a high shelf in the school library.

As a little girl, I would have these dreams if someone wearing a hood, carrying a sleeping child in a bright pink blanket. The dreams that I would always use to have as a little girl would have me waking up in the middle of the night, drenched in a cold sweat. But somehow, the dreams stopped when I was seven years old. To this day, I would often think about them, attempting to figure out what those dreams were trying to tell me. I always asked myself, who was that person carrying that sleeping child.

Now that I'm 16 going on 17 years old, I started to think about what my mom really looked like before leaving me at the orphanage. One of that staff members, Ziva, had told me about the day my mom brought me to the orphanage. Another staff member had said that she was most beautiful and an intelligent person.

Lily, another staff member had told me that she put me in the orphanage for a lot of different reasons and I wasn't the one to blame. One day while I was in the kitchen doing the dishes, a kind staff member that I became incredibly close to, named Kari said to me, "On the day your mom came to the orphanage with you in her arms, you were no bigger than a three-year-old. All your mothers told me was that your name is Aurora (Will change the name before uploading) and that when you get an older, you'll be ready to go find her."

"Seriously? You've got to be kidding me. Kari, you and I both know that one very special day of trying to find my mom will never come for me, right?" I asked her. "That day I could be hoping for can't be today, tomorrow, or even next week. Better yet, it's not even next month or next year."

"You don't know that, Aurora." said Kari. "That day might come to you as a surprise."

"Oh yeah? No matter how hard I wish that day will never come." I told her. "I mean, come on, why did she put me in an orphanage when she could have raised me herself? It's just plain stupid that she did this to me."

"I know." Kari said, placing her hands on my shoulders. "I get it. It's frustrating for you and you want to know why she did this. But at some point, you will meet her."

"What else can you tell me about her?" I asked.

"She told me that you were in danger and that you were born with a gift. When I asked her why, she couldn't tell me anything more about it." Kari tells me. "All your mother could say was that someone who was a former friend of her and your father's was very dangerous and was after you."

"But why though?" I asked.

"Aurora, look at me." she said. "She did what she thought was best. She wanted to put you somewhere safe and out of harm's way. She just wanted to protect you."

Kari decided to helped me clean the dishes and put them away. I shook my head at this as I handed her a clean plate. I knew that deep down, I would find her one day, but I doubt that it would be anytime soon.

"Ok, point very well taken, Chicken Little. But why did she have to do it when she could have raised me herself? Why did she put me here if I was going to be in so much danger?" I asked. "Who is she trying to protect me from anyway? What is she trying to protect me from anyway?"