Chapter 20: Resonant Tides (not Broken Bonds)

Yeji's POV

"It sure would be nice to help those kids," Lia mused, her eyes reflecting a blend of compassion and uncertainty.

"I really don't know how to deal with kids," Chaeryeong confessed, her gaze fixed somewhere far away.

"Yeah, kids actually scare me too. Babies are fine, but kids, they just exude this energy," Lia admitted, a note of trepidation in her voice.

"We seem to share the same sentiments about kids, then. How about you, Yeji?" Chaeryeong redirected the conversation towards me.

My mind was a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. The events of the previous night played over and over in my head like a haunting melody.

She was gone when I woke up, with Hyunjin mentioning something about her running off. The confusion in her eyes, the aftermath of a hangover, left me wondering-did she even remember what had happened?

"Yeji!" Chaeryeong's voice snapped me back to the present.

"If this is about last night, we're sorry. You're right; we should've stopped her before it got worse. Don't avoid us," Lia pleaded, her eyes filled with genuine concern.

"What are you talking about?" I replied, attempting to conceal the turmoil within.

"Is there something wrong?" Chaeryeong pressed on.

"Nah," I responded too quickly. I could feel their skepticism, but I tried to redirect their attention.

"I'm fine, just thinking about another potentially tiring day," I assured them, my smile a mere façade.

"Yeah, you're right. So, you hate kids too?" Lia asked, attempting to lighten the mood.

"Huh?" I stammered, caught off guard. Both of them fixed their gazes on me. "I mean, they're fine. 'Hate' is a strong word."

As they walked towards the bus, we put our things. The search for seats commenced, and Chaeryeong's suggestion led us to a spot she deemed suitable. "Let's sit here," Chaeryeong declared, her eyes scanning the area behind us. Lia and I nodded in agreement, following her lead.

I positioned myself at the very side, drawn to the window where I could rest my head and gaze outside, seeking solace in the passing scenery.

"Do you want to sleep?" Lia asked, breaking the silence. I nodded, appreciating the understanding in her eyes.

As time passed, the rhythmic hum of the bus became a lullaby, and I succumbed to the weariness that clung to me.

Sleep claimed me, offering a brief respite from the questions that plagued my mind, at least for a little while.

The gymnasium bustled with excitement as they entered, a cacophony of laughter and chatter filling the air. The vibrant energy of children and their parents created a lively atmosphere.

A clown, adorned in colorful attire, stood at the center of the stage, ready to entertain the eager audience.

The clown, with a mischievous glint in their eye, seized everyone's attention. "Why did the bicycle fall over?" they exclaimed, a playful grin stretching across their painted faces.

Lia, Chaeryeong, and I exchanged curious glances.

"Because it was two-tired!" the clown delivered the punchline, and an eruption of laughter echoed through the gymnasium.

Lia and Chaeryeong laughed but I couldn't bring myself to join the laughter around us.

As the entertainment continued with mesmerizing magic tricks, engaging games, and lively performances, the gymnasium transformed into a realm of enchantment.