Chapter 15

Y/N's Apartment

Crowley, having just returned from Aziraphale's bookshop with a heavy heart and a tumultuous revelation on his mind, entered Y/N's apartment. A sense of urgency propelled him as he searched the familiar surroundings for any sign of her. He called out her name, a note of concern evident in his voice.

The apartment seemed eerily quiet, with no immediate response from Y/N. Crowley's agitation grew, and he contemplated reaching out to her, his fingers hovering over his phone. Just as he was about to dial, the unmistakable sound of the front door opening reached his ears.

In walked Y/N, laughter spilling from her lips as she shared a light moment with none other than Lucifer. The unexpected duo seemed to have shared an escapade, a shared secret that fueled their laughter. Crowley, caught off guard, watched as they entered, the mirth echoing through the apartment.

The weight of Crowley's revelation, his intent to distance himself from Y/N, collided with the unexpected sight of her sharing laughter and camaraderie with Lucifer. He observed them, a complex mix of emotions clouding his eyes, as they continued to laugh about their adventure.

Crowley's irritation was palpable as he regarded Y/N and her celestial companion. His expression darkened, a silent reproach for Y/N's choice of company. Lucifer, ever perceptive, quickly caught onto the tension and realized that his presence was unwelcome in Crowley's eyes.

Not wanting to escalate the situation or strain the already delicate dynamic, Lucifer swiftly stepped forward, his tone laced with a mischievous charm. "Well, seems like I've overstayed my welcome. Ta-ta, my dear sister," he said, giving Y/N a quick, playful salute.

Before Crowley could voice his disapproval or intervene, Lucifer vanished into thin air, leaving the living room devoid of his celestial presence. Y/N, caught between the lingering mirth of their escapade and the tension in the room, faced Crowley with a conflicted expression.

Crowley, still wearing a scowl, sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. "Y/N, what were you thinking, gallivanting around with Lucifer like that?" he chided.

Y/N, recognizing the brewing storm, attempted to diffuse the situation with a sheepish smile. "It was just a bit of fun, Crowley. No harm done."

As the weight of the moment settled on her, Y/N sighed. "Can't we spend time together? He is my brother after all."

Crowley's expression tightened as he reminded her of Lucifer's persistent efforts to recruit her. "He's been trying to get you on his side for ages. You know that, right?"

Y/N met Crowley's gaze, a mix of determination and frustration in her eyes. "Of course I know. I'm trying to salvage my relationship with my brother, Crowley. Isn't that a good thing?"

Crowley, frustrated by the situation and the stakes involved, couldn't contain his concern. "You need to be more careful, Y/N. We can't trust him," he urged, his voice tinged with urgency.

Y/N's annoyance bubbled to the surface. "Crowley, you just want to isolate me, so you can keep me to yourself," she accused, her frustration evident in her tone.

Crowley, caught off guard by the accusation, shook his head vehemently. "That's not what I meant, Y/N," he protested, attempting to clarify his intentions.

Her eyes narrowing, Y/N challenged him, "Then why are you avoiding me, Crowley? If it's not about keeping me to yourself, then what is it?"

Crowley, torn between the truth and his fears, hesitated for a moment before admitting, "It's not about keeping you to myself, it's about keeping you safe. There are things you don't know, things that could put you in danger."

Y/N, though momentarily taken aback by his sincerity, remained steadfast. "I can take care of myself, Crowley. But I need to know what's going on, and I need you with me," she insisted, her plea tinged with a mix of frustration and vulnerability.

"It's not that simple Y/N," he began, his eyes flickering briefly to hers before shifting away. "It's just... complicated."

As the weight of Crowley's unspoken dilemma hung heavily in the air, Y/N's concern deepened. She looked into Crowley's eyes, searching for an explanation that seemed to elude him.

"Is it something I did?" Y/N's voice carried a mixture of confusion and hurt. "If it's not that, then why are you avoiding me?"

Crowley, caught between the desire to shield Y/N from the impending storm and the need to offer her some semblance of an answer, struggled to find the right words. His mind raced, considering various ways to deflect without revealing the complexities that had arisen.

"I..." Crowley hesitated, searching for an explanation that wouldn't unravel the carefully woven threads of secrecy. "It's not about you, Y/N. I promise."

The frustration in Y/N's eyes deepened. "Then what is it?" she pressed, a hint of vulnerability seeping into her voice.

Crowley's attempts at evasion faltered in the face of Y/N's genuine confusion and hurt. He couldn't bring himself to fabricate a false reason, knowing that it would only compound the pain. Silence lingered, stretching between them, until Y/N, her patience waning, spoke again.

"I don't know what I did wrong, Crowley," Y/N admitted, her voice tinged with a mix of sadness and frustration. "If there's something bothering you, tell me. Please."

Crowley's internal struggle reached a tipping point. His heart ached at the prospect of causing Y/N pain, yet the weight of the prophecy and the looming threat compelled him to keep her at arm's length. He swallowed hard, the truth lingering on the tip of his tongue, but the words remained unspoken.

With a heavy sigh, Y/N continued, "I thought we could talk about anything. If there's something on your mind, let me in. We can face it together."

Caught between the desire to protect Y/N and the need to be honest, Crowley faced an impossible choice. He met her gaze, the turmoil within him reflected in his eyes, before offering a strained, "I just need some time, alright? But it's not your fault."

Y/N nodded, her expression a mix of understanding and resignation, though the pain in her eyes didn't go unnoticed.

Crowley, his gaze dropping momentarily, sighed, his words hesitant. "Y/N, I'm sorry. Things are... complicated right now." He reached out, attempting to pull her into a comforting embrace, but she skillfully evaded his touch, maintaining a barrier between them.

Just as the weight of the strained moment settled in, Crowley's phone chimed with an incoming call. It was Aziraphale, his urgency evident in the tone. The demon answered, listening intently to the message. Aziraphale's voice conveyed a sense of urgency, prompting Crowley to hang up and turn to Y/N.

"Aziraphale needs us," he stated, a flicker of concern crossing his features. The Bentley awaited, a silent witness to the emotional turbulence within.

Without a word, Y/N headed towards the car, her gaze steadfastly avoiding Crowley's. The journey to Aziraphale's bookshop unfolded in a heavy silence, broken only by the hum of the engine and the distant sounds of the city. Y/N stared out of her window, a deliberate choice to avoid the questions and the unspoken tension that lingered between her and Crowley.

As the Bentley glided through the streets, the weight of the unspoken hung in the air, overshadowing the urgency of Aziraphale's call. The journey became a bridge between the unspoken words, each passing moment a reminder of the strained connection that needed mending. The road to Aziraphale's bookshop stretched out before them, a symbolic path that would either deepen the chasm or offer a chance for resolution.