LIVE A LITTLE PT.1

Me and Jackie have been living at the Walter household for a month and 12 days now. I was skeptical at the will reading when mom put Kathrine as mine and Jackie's guardians. But now that we're living here, I'm actually really enjoying it. From the talks about theatre me and Danny have, to Lee showing me cool tricks on his skateboard. But the part I've loved most about my stay here is Alex. He's been such a sweet boy, and I think he may be my best friend. Me, Skylar, Grace and Jackie have become a little quad of people, Alex and Kiley occasionally joining us too.

I would also go with Alex and Kiley at lunch and during my free periods sometimes so that I could have two stable groups. I can tell Jackie is happier now she's here, her smile seems genuine and her eyes are bright. My sister being happy is something I've wanted for the last 7 months of my life. We've even fallen into a routine, to the point where we've got designated shower times. I'm during the evening, she's during the mornings. She's always been a morning shower girl, just like our sister, Lucy.

It's another early morning we wake up and Jackie goes for her morning shower. I notice some of the boys sneaking around with something, I can't quite tell what. A few moments later I hear a scream come from the bathroom. "Jackie?! Are you okay?" I shout in to her. She unlocks the door and ushers me inside. She's in her bath robe, her hair in a towel. "What's wrong?" I ask her. All she does is take her hair out of the towel to reveal bits of ginger in it. "Oh my god, what the hell happened?!" It's not even like she could pretend it was intentional, it's splotchy and all over the place.

"Someone put bleach in the shampoo." She says, looking at her hair closely in the mirror. "Don't worry, we can fix this." I go out of the bathroom to find Issac. "Hey Issac, can you go get Kathrine?" I ask him. He has a really large grin on his face. "Uhhh, no. We had a bet that your sister would rather skip school than go with messed up hair." I look behind him to see Jordan filming the doorway, Benny with Jackie's bathroom bag in his hand and Cole leaning against the doorframe. "Are ALL of you in on this bet?" I question, anger bubbling inside me. "The only one that isn't in on it is Alex and You. Lameeee." I hear Lee say behind his brother.

"You're all Jerks, y'know that right?" I barge past them, trying to see if I brought anything to cover Jackie's hair for today. A baseball cap. If she puts her hair into a low ponytail no one will be able to tell. This will have to do until we can go buy hair dye after school. I go back to get Jackie from the bathroom but she's tried venturing out alone. Jordan is filming her and the boys are laughing at her. For some reason, Cole is gone. Weird. I see her in her room, baseball cap in my hand.

"Okay, good news and bad news. Good news, if you put your hair into a low ponytail the baseball cap will look intentional. Bad news, we're gonna have to wait till after school to get hair dye." My sister looks distraught. She's never dyed her hair and wanted to keep it that way. "It'll be fine. When we get home I'm kicking all their asses. I'm sure Alex will help." I wink at her, trying to get her to laugh. She let's out a little chuckle. "Can we keep this between the two of us? Just for today." She says to me. I nod, holding out my pinky.

"I pinky promise." I leave her to go get ready myself. A pair of blue flaire jeans with a white long sleeve shirt that glings to me. I pair them with my worn out white converse. My hair being in a low ponytail with two front pieces in the front untied. Maybe my sisters sudden hair issue won't be noticeable if I'm also wearing my hair in a ponytail. I put on some makeup, making sure to do each step in detail. I then go check on my sister. I have leant her some sweatpants and a black top so it looks like she's going low key today.

"No one's gonna notice." I reiterate to her as if it's the most obvious thing in the world. We go downstairs to grab breakfast and get in the car. Alex gives Jackie's unusual outfit a look. "I'll tell you later." I whisper. I'll tell him once Jackie's told Kathrine and George, but for now it no one's business. We get to our lockers. We're 20 minutes early. I see Jackie's talking to Skylar so I feel free to give Alex my full attention. He's got another book in his hand. Fellowship of the ring. "You really like books with rings don't you Walter." I've picked up on using Alex's last name when talking to him in the last 2 weeks. He doesn't seem to mind the nickname so it's stuck. It's like my version of him calling me Stell.