026 || Nobody's Daughter

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX —        Nobody's Daughter ..

______________________

          She's never seen her father mourn the way he had at Albert's funeral. In fact, Daphne doubted he had been devastated by her mother's death even remotely as much as her brother's demise ruined him. Then again, very few of those fallen to the war had the grace and dignity of a proper parting ceremony from this world and after the explosion, there had been close to nothing left of her mother to bury anyway. She's never had the idea of visiting the Capitol cemetery, of walking those aisle and seeking her out. This was the first time she saw her tombstone, right next to her brother's brand new one and she had her solid doubts that there was an actual coffin with some stain of her mother in it. 

It's been no more than a day since Albert was found dead of poisoning and his death had sent a ripple of repercussions all throughout Panem, not only in the Capitol. Her father's mourning, surprisingly emotional as it had turned out to be, was still peppered with that sort of anger only a father could possess — utterly mindless. Every ounce of pain he had felt after the news were brought to him, he had taken out on the citizens of Panem, an otherwise undesirable outcome for Daphne, but not one she wasn't certain she could dilute by lunch.

The funeral procession happened in the morning and lasted what felt like an eternity, while her clock begged of her to admit were only two hours. At the end of the procession, after having tried to approach her all the way through but couldn't thanks to the intimidating mountain of a man Thaddeus was by standing behind her, Electra finally found her moment to walk over to Daphne — Thaddeus had gone to bring their car over.

Daphne wasn't necessarily in the mood for company, especially not one as devoid of dignity as Electra's, so she tried with hopeful demeanor to ignore the woman until she went away. After all, she had better things to keep at the forefront of her mind, like the burning desire for time to fly and for it to be afternoon already, so she may make for the train station, as planned. The hours were passing painfully slow to the mind lacking patience. 

"You were right," Electra spoke in a quiet tone, positioning herself besides Daphne, without daring to brush her bare shoulder over hers. They both looked down at the freshly covered grave dug before the stone baring Albert's name. "He did pay me," she admitted, momentarily turning her gaze to watch desperately at least for a single reaction on Daphne's features, as cold as ever that morning. "A job is a job," Electra eventually looked away after seeing no reassuring reaction. "I just thought you should know there are no hard feelings between us—"

"How much?" Daphne interrupted, just as quiet as Electra, however all that much blunter. 

Electra gulped, not baring at the moment to even look at the grave, far less at the Ravinstill besides her. It was particularly that silent bashful response that told Daphne all she needed to know. Within the second, she searched her purse for some change. With three coins in hand, she turned towards Electra and bit down on her disgust to take the woman's hand and force her to take the money. 

"For your troubles," Daphne justified the payment with a mocking smile. "I do advice you to leave the Capitol as soon as possible," she continued, her smile turning from a taunt to a threat of eerie power, "because if I ever see you again, my loyal Peacekeepers will have you wishing you never learned the bad habit of opening your legs to any man promising a deep pocket." She patted Electra's hand, before fully letting go and walking past her.