09.

vol i
chapter nine

"I got Nobody!" Polyphemus gloats.
The group creeps to the cave entrance and sees the cyclops grinning wickedly, holding up empty air.

The monster shakes his fist, and a baseball cap flutters to the ground. There's Annabeth, hanging upside down by her legs.
Helia instinctively moves to rush forward, with Clarisse quickly grabbing her.

"Hah!" the Cyclops says. "Nasty invisible girl! Already got feisty one for wife. Means you gotta be grilled with mango chutney!"
Annabeth struggles, but she looks dazed. She has a nasty cut on her forehead. Her eyes are glassy.

"I'll rush him," Percy whispers to Clarisse. "Our ship is around the back of the island. You, Helia, and Grover—"
"No way," the three say at the same time.
Clarisse arms herself with a highly collectible rams-horn spear from the Cyclops's cave.
Grover has a sheep's thigh bone, which he doesn't look too happy about, but is gripping it like a club, ready to attack.
And Helia draws Klironomiá, her bow also hanging readily across her back.

"We'll take him together," Clarisse growls.
"Yeah," Grover says. Then he blinks, like he can't believe he's just agreed with Clarisse about something.
"Come on, Jackson, you should know by now that there's no way I'm backing out of this." Helia argues.

"All right," he says, giving in. "Attack plan Macedonia."
They nod, immediately understanding.

Percy hefts his sword and shouts, "Hey, Ugly!"
The giant whirls around. "Another one? Who are you?"
"Put down my friend. I'm the one who insulted you."
"You are Nobody?"
"That's right, you smelly bucket of nose drool! I'm Nobody and I'm proud of it! Now, put her down and get over here. I want to stab your eye out again."

"RAAAR!" he bellows.
The good news: he drops Annabeth.
The bad news: he drops her headfirst onto the rocks, where she lies as motionless as a rag doll.
The other bad news: Polyphemus is barreling towards the group.

"Grover! Get Annabeth!" Helia yells, and the satyr nods.

The daughter of Apollo then rushes the Cyclops from the right. She throws her hands outwards, blasting light and temporarily blinding the monster, his arms covering his eye.

Clarisse runs in from the left and sets her spear against the ground, just in time for the Cyclops to step on it. He wails in pain, and Clarisse dives out of the way to avoid getting trampled.

Rubbing his eye, the Cyclops just plucks out the shaft like a large splinter and keeps advancing.
Percy moves in with Riptide. The monster makes a grab for him. He rolls aside and stabs him in the thigh.

Grover has reached Annabeth. He grabs her invisibility cap and lifts her up.

Clarisse and Helia charge the Cyclops again and again, working in tandem.
He pounds the ground, stomping and grabbing at the girls.
But they're too quick. Especially Helia, who moves at an unnatural pace, slicing the monster repeatedly as Clarisse distracts it.
He howls in pain.
Percy quickly follows the duo, jumping in and joining the daughter of Apollo, stabbing the Cyclops in the toe, the ankle, or the hand.

Though they know they can't keep it up forever.

Out of the corner of his eye, Percy catches Grover carrying Annabeth across the rope bridge.
"Fall back!" He shouts to the girls.