oo. forbidden fruit

* panar dollars are the currency used in panem.

Dragonfruit

Dragonfruit.

Their skin was tough like leather. These strange fruits weren't common in the Rivers household, nor were they preferred. Kaiko thought they had a rancid taste, and she rejected them at the nearest chance.

She thought that until she met Finnick. She hadn't even noticed the victor at first glance, not until she was reminded by the mayor's daughter. He was buried underneath large tarps and nets, sorting through fish caught in the latest hunt. His hands were covered with grime, hair damp from saltwater. Kaiko could recall that day fondly, the day she met the captivating Finnick O'dair.

It was another normal afternoon in District 4. Kaiko was sent to the markets to collect fresh fish from the docks, which she would trade for loaves prepared at her father's bakery. It wasn't a daunting task, but nerve-wracking to endure all to her lonesome. Usually, Kaiko was accompanied by her father, but that day he stayed behind.

She wandered around the large market, lined with peacekeepers and endless chatter. Her father was able to scrounge up a few coins for today's catch, yet Kaiko still prayed that the few loaves she brought along would be an aid as well.

Slowly, Kaiko approached one of the fishmongers. He was an old. wrinkly man named Hydrus, with copper hair that fell well below his shoulders. He was short and stumpy, but kind nonetheless. He frequently visited her father's bakery and always left handsome tips. "Hello Kaiko, what can I do for you today?"

"Your latest catch." She laid out her hand, revealing the few bronze coins and crumpled panar papers in her palm. "This is all I have."

Hydrus offered the young woman a toothy grin, gesturing to a layer of nets in large, stained buckets. Another old man with gray hair was sorting various fish into their respective containers, hunched over with sweat dripping from his limbs. His appearance was menacing, and his gray eyes were startling as they met Kaiko's.

The young girl handed the burly man her money, which he returned with a disgruntled scoff. "Come back when you have real money."

Kaiko's eyes narrowed. "This is real money. I'll take three of your cheapest catches." She repeated firmly, shoving the dollars back into his grip. And just like before, the old man returned her money, this time scattering it against the market's hardwood floors. He didn't offer Kaiko another glance before returning to his duties, and the only thing that stopped Kaiko from speaking again was Finnick.