Harem

Monday - 4:58PM.

As I walk through the streets, I face the sky. A warm field of red clouds peers down at me. It's quite calming. Looking to my left I can see the abandoned child's park. It's rusted and old now, but I used to play with my friend there when I was younger. It would bring back memories, but most of mine seem to have been forgotten. I've always heard that if you have a good childhood you're much more likely to forget the details. I suppose that may be the case. I've never been much of a social person, so I get to enjoy the little things like this. Looking to my right I can see the old altar. An old man is approaching the donations box that sits next to a building that I'm unaware of the use for. There's a bit of shade cast by a patio that hosts the box. I suppose I could wait a moment to witness this small moment of kindness to a deity. I relax my arms on the fence that surrounds the place of worship. The old man walks with surprisingly good posture. I didn't expect that from a man who looks to be about in his nineties... Does he? Now that I'm focusing on him, I realize that he almost seems like a 20-year-old and a 90-year-old at the exact same time. What a strange man. I suppose that taking this time out of my day was worth it, even if I don't get anything else out of this. The man finally reaches the altar, bends over, and immediately stands back up straight and kicks the box with immense force.

"STUPID! WHY!? STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!!!" I hear him yelling at the top of his lungs. He kicks the box with each repetition of the word "stupid." I suppose I should get out of here. I start walking away from the altar. I was a bit surprised, but it's not like I'm the one he's mad at. I continue to walk away and soon I arrive directly in front of the old man... This is not the direction I walk-

"YOU!" The man grabbed the cuff of my shirt and pulled me a bit too close to his face for my liking. "YOU'RE THE CAUSE OF ALL OF MY PROBLEMS!" He starts shaking me as his spit flies onto my face. I already planned on taking a shower when I got home, but here's more reason. "EXPLAIN YOURSELF!" He pushes me away and taps his foot impatiently. I look around. This is the altar. The old man didn't follow me, I moved to him. I figured that responding to this man would just get me in more trouble, so I walked away. I continue to walk away and soon I arrive directly in front of the young man. Again. "You can't run from me, kiddo! I'm a god!" I nod. "You don't believe me, DO YOU!?" I shake my head. The old man sighs, placing his hand against his forehead. "I am the God Of All Gods, PRODECUS DRATT!" With those last two words, thunder sounds in the background and Prodecus strikes a pose. "I'm sure you've heard of me." Despite Prodecus's confident smirk and the way that he's looking me dead in the eye, probably seeking a specific response, I just shake my head. He's visibly angry. "Well, I'VE heard of YOU! Do your teachers not teach you anything nowadays! Gosh, back when..." The old man keeps talking. He rants something about some Goddess of Teaching or something. I just stand there silently. I don't tend to engage with nut-jobs. I do feel my heart beating at a higher rate. It's probably due to his weird tricks with keeping me in this altar. I realize that I've never actually read the plaque. True to what the old-man claims, it reads Prodecus Dratt. I guess that name wasn't made up at least. "And THAT is why you should show me some respect!" Prodecus, if that's his real name, finally realizes that I'm paying no attention.

"A GOD comes to speak with you and you DON'T CARE!?" He hits his head and mutters something. I can't make it out. I consider asking him to clarify, but decide against it. "You probably aren't convinced, are you?" He sighs, then snaps his fingers. We're suddenly in the middle of the ocean, standing on the water.

"WHAT!?" I'm finally snapped out of my daze as I fall backwards, directly into the water, then I'm back up again, standing across from the old man at the altar, still sopping wet.

"You CAN speak! Do you believe me now?" He nods, satisfied with his work.

"I... Guess... So." I shake my head in an attempt to clear my thoughts. "But, wait, what does a God want with me?"