3.9

Have you been so busy that you've forgotten what time of year it is? Let me give you a hint couture, quadrilles and cutthroat competition. That's right. It's time for cotillion. Just like the mob, New York prep schools have their own five families, you may be the John Gotti of Constance, little J., but that doesn't mean you'll ever be part of this Cosa Nostra.

Much to my dismay Nate is moving into the penthouse with Chuck. He plans on having a lost weekend for the two so I thought I would pay him a visit before his penthouse becomes Nate central.

Chuck looks up at me from his place on the couch. "To what do I owe the pleasure, Arabella?"

"Just wanted to stop by before Nate moves in," I tell him.

"You're going to avoid this place once Nate moves in," Chuck states.

I nod my head. "Like the plague."

"Don't you have your own plans for the weekend?" Chuck asks. "It being cotillion and all. Aren't you supposed to be a mentor?"

"Yes. Lily talked me into it." I sigh. "But Blair told me she won't mentor anyone since Serena is."

"Isn't it about time the two of them make up?" Chuck remarks.

"If you have a plan, I'm all ears," I offer.

I reluctantly attend the dinner being held at Serena's for the debutantes and mentors. My debutant is like all the rest. She's got her private school friends and enough of her parents' money to get her through cotillion no problem.

I'm surprised when Blair of all people shows up. She was pretty adamant about not being a mentor if Serena is.

"Blair," Serena greets.

"Serena. Anything you want to say to me?" Blair asks.

Serena forces a smile. "Welcome."

"I see. That's it?" Blair asks.

"Uh, well, there's a list of debs and their mentors on the coffee table. You can find out who Lily assigned you to," Serena tells her. "My deb's right here, right, Jenny?"

"Uh, yeah, Serena's my mentor," Jenny says. "Why?"

"Oh, of course, if that's what you want. It's just a shame," Blair tells her. "You know how I feel about your potential."

Jenny rolls her eyes. I don't blame her.

"Blair, come on," I tell her.

"Blair, are we really doing this right now?" Serena asks.

"I gave you a chance to apologize," Blair tells her.

"How about you apologize?" Serena counters.

"I'm here, aren't I?" Blair argues.

"Okay, look, I have enough of my own problems," Jenny tells them. "So, I'm not gonna let you guys make me a pawn in your war."

"War? What? Of course not," Blair insists. "Who's your escort?"

"Jonathan Whitney," Jenny informs her.

"Your stepbrother's boyfriend," Blair states. "Do you remember who my escort was?"

"Nate," Jenny states.

"Jenny, when you descend those stairs tomorrow night, everyone there will judge you, based on that moment, for the rest of your life," Blair warns. "This is not like your wedding day. Cotillion only happens once. Now you already have one strike against you because of the whole Brooklyn misfortune and add a "b+" escort and top it off with a mentor who's known more for her mug shots and topless photos in Ibiza than her social graces?"