Chapter 2

Scotty and I sit on the porch steps the next day, talking about our likes and dislikes. I've been trying my best to get to know him better, not wanting us to be those step siblings who can't stand each other.

But in time, the conversation slowly dwindles down and we're left just staring at the houses across the street, lost in our own thoughts.

"We can go practice in the backyard again." I say, interrupting the silence between us, slightly gesturing to the glove in his hand.

"No, it's okay. I don't think baseball is my thing." He says, fiddling with the broken strings on the glove.

"Hey, don't say that. With practice I'm sure you'll be great."

The sound of footsteps approaching us interrupts Scotty's response. We both look up and I see the same black haired, tan skinned boy who was at the Sandlot yesterday; the only one who wasn't laughing when Scotty couldn't throw. Close up, I notice his eyes are a really pretty hazel.

"Hey." He says, stopping a few feet away from us. "Uh, we're gonna go play some ball and we need extra players, wanna go?"

I'm about to accept his offer, but Scotty quickly interrupts me. "No, thanks."

I shoot him a glare and I hear a slight chuckle from the black haired boy.

"Why not? Don't you like baseball?" He asks.

"Oh yeah, but uh...but my glove, it's busted." Scotty says, holding up his glove. Sure it's broken, but I literally have extra ones in my room he could borrow. I know he just doesn't want to face the kids after making a fool of himself.

The boy rolls his eyes, obviously not falling for the excuse. "It's okay," He says, pulling out a brand new glove from his back pocket. "I've got an extra one."

My eyes widen, how the heck did that fit in there?

He tosses it to Scotty, who hesitantly catches it. I know he doesn't want to go, but the boy kinda put him one the spot.

The boy's eyes meet mine and I let myself admire them for a moment. They're such a pretty shade of hazel, I would look at them all day if I could.

He's kinda cute.

"Do you need one too?" He asks, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Oh. Uh no, I have my own inside." I say, gesturing towards the door.

"Well go get it and let's go!" He says, grinning at me.

I grin back before running inside and grabbing my glove from the table, making sure to let both our parents know we won't be home for the next few hours.

I run back outside and the black haired boy gestures for us to follow him. We both properly introduce ourselves as we jog down the street towards Vincent's Drug Store, making small talk as the early morning sun shines down on us.

Once we get there, I notice the same group of boys I saw at the sandlot sitting in a circle in the parking lot, taking no notice of Scotty, Benny and I.

One of them stands in front of the group with a stick in his mouth meant to act like a cigar. He mumbles something to the group and they all look at him confused. He tries again only to get the same reaction.

"I'm the Great Bambino!" He says, finally taking the stick out of him mouth.

"Ohhhhh," The group of boys nod in agreement.

"Who's that?" Scotty asks.

Oh. My. God.

I don't even have to look at Benny to know he has the exact same expression as me.