CHAPTER TWO: pushed in the pool!

pushed in the pool !

Violet descended the creaky stairs, ready to spend the day with Isaac

Violet descended the creaky stairs, ready to spend the day with Isaac. However, the usual farmhouse serenity was disrupted by her mom, Dahlia, racing around like a whirlwind.

"What are you doing?" Violet inquired, her curiosity piqued. The chaotic energy felt foreign since Sage and Juniper had departed, leaving a quieter atmosphere with Dahlia, Celeste, Daisy, Phoenix, and Violet.

"Phoenix lost his bird. HE LOST HIS BIRD!" Dahlia exclaimed, the urgency evident. Violet glanced at her younger brother, a quiet soul who preferred the outdoors.

Consulting the calendar, Violet pieced together the puzzle—her dad's death anniversary loomed just two days away. The impending anniversary cast a shadow, explaining her mom's uncharacteristic frenzy.

Dahlia's love story with Joshua Fields had been unconventional. Joshua, once a wild partygoer, transformed under Dahlia's influence. At 17, she found herself pregnant, with only Celeste's unwavering support as her anchor, even if it meant leaving Dahlia's unsupportive father.

"Hey, Mom, I'll find the bird. Why don't you check in with Daisy and Grandma?" Violet suggested, a comforting presence for her mother. Dahlia huffed and offered a grateful smile, pondering the inexplicable luck of having Violet as her steadfast support. Violet had been her rock through it all—managing the household, getting the kids to school after Joshua's death, and shouldering the responsibilities even as Juniper explored the rebellious night and Sage embarked on college.That was until Celeste moved in.

"Thanks, honey," Dahlia uttered before strolling away. Violet sighed and ventured outside to find Phoenix.

"Nix, the bird will come back."

"His name is Chicken," Phoenix mumbled sadly. Violet nodded, "Sorry. Chicken will come back. How about having some breakfast and then coming to the Walters'?"

"Will Parker be there?" Phoenix inquired. Violet nodded, "She lives there." Phoenix acknowledged with a nod and hurried inside. Violet silently prayed that Chicken would return; otherwise, she'd face the daunting task of replacing the bird for the fourth time.

In a swift motion, Phoenix darted into Parker's room, while Isaac charged downstairs, nearly colliding with Lee on the way. "Violet! It's been too long," he exclaimed, catching her off guard.

Violet, unimpressed, rolled her eyes. "It's been one day."

"Can you be nice?" Isaac pleaded. Violet sighed, "Oh, Isaac, I've missed you so much! Please, hug me; it's been almost 10 years. I can't believe I'm seeing you again!" Her tone dripped with sarcasm.

Isaac glared but complied, tightly hugging her and even spinning her around. "Guess who's texting me?!" he blurted out in excitement.

Violet, laughing, retorted, "Jessica Neilson! She's so out of your league."