Part 2

Jason was a character that Rick dropped the ball on so hard.

Because, while his life is incredibly difficult, it has so much potential for storytelling, that Rick dashes on the rocks, leaving the fandom with a character who people acknowledge as weak and boring.

So, in the fandom, Jason is regarded as having no personality, or being a knock off Percy. So, Jason not really having a huge personality, as a kid who trained as a soldier from a young age, makes sense. He was spending half his childhood trying to survive so trying to figure out what MBTI type he was may have fallen low on his list of priorities. Then he got amnesia, and sent on the Seven quest. So Jason not having time to develop a sense of personality makes sense, buts here's the catch. It's never explored. Rick never, ever explains why that might be happening, which could make for a compelling story arc. Rick never expands on the child soldier thing at all, which sucks because instead of Jason having an identity crisis about Greek and Roman camps, he could be really weird since he's a child soldier. (I'm aware that they're all child soldiers, but I refer to Jason as child soldier since he was just a baby when he started)

And the seeds were there. For example, the scene with Jason being wary about Nico and not wanting to rescue him, that could have been Jason being taught that practicality is key. That some people are expendable. He could have learnt that from the ARMY THAT HE GREW UP IN. That could have been a plot point, that Jason struggles with taking breaks or knowing that's he's appreciated, that his childhood was abusive and not normal, that life isn't a constant battle for survival. Jason Grace finding a personality, finding things he actually enjoyed. That could have been his arc! All of the pieces were right there! Rick, dude, you're a great author, but you fumbled so hard on this one!

And also the fact that... unpopular opinion time....

Jason wasn't stronger than Percy, but he should have been.

Jason has been in the army since he was a toddler, and I know that Percy's really powerful, but come on! Jason being this really nice, really powerful kid with super strong powers and no social skills could have slayed. Maybe this is the inner Jason stan in me, but I personally think that Jason should have been stronger than Percy, simply because it makes more sense. Jason has been training for ages and ages, he single handily fought a Titan at younger than Percy (around 14 or 15) so it seemed like his powers were muted by Rick. This could probably be because the PJO fandom is like a toxic TikTok boy mom when it comes to Percy (I can be like this too), making him centre stage and getting annoyed when he isn't. Percy is meant to be the strongest, which isn't bad, in some situations it just doesn't fit. Or maybe Percy's just wildly OP.

This is not to say that in the book Jason was weak, but people treat him like that.

And Jason's really sad life is never explored! He should have been struggling with 1500 mental illnesses at once because that constant abandonment? The stress of everyone's expectations? Trying not to die at like 4? He's neither the eldest nor a girl, but he's got so much eldest daughter syndrome and is burnt out gifted kid syndrome personified. And it's hardly touched on!

There's also the fact that's a really small nitpick, but, the fact that Jason only has 1 single lip scar? That shows that Rick wasn't paying attention to his own character. Jason trained with the Wolf Goddess then was in the army, he should be covered in them.

In conclusion, Jason's very sad and tragic story was hardly utilised and the very interesting parts of his character were not used in a way they could be. But don't worry Jason. While Rick Riordan may have flopped you, you are one of my favourite characters.