Chapter 8 - underlying

Charisma was up with the twins, she realised that Keegan hadn't slept in the bed. Neither was he at home when she got up. She hoped he was okay and hadn't done something to Jem that he would regret. She watched the babies play and she chewed her lip nervously. She pulled out her cell and text him.

C
You didn't come home last night, I hope you're okay. I love you Keegan, please remember that. Me, Venice, Arlen and our little egg love you unconditionally. Cxx

She called Ryan. "Sup sis?."

"Where's Keegan?."

"He didn't come home?." Ryan said to her.

"No.. not at all.. I've upset him haven't I.. This is about the lawsuit...

"No.. I don't think it is.. have you called him?."

"I tried it and it went to voicemail.. I sent a text and left a voicemail.. but I've not received anything..

"Listen, I don't want you to worry okay.. I'll track him down.. he probably went to a club and got drunk and he's prolly still there." He said trying to make light of it for her sake.

————

Ryan ended the call with Charisma and tried Keegan's cell. It rang and after 5 rings he picked up but he stayed quiet. "Man.. where are you?." Ryan said.

"Listen Ryan, I'm gonna need you to do me a big favour.

"Anything man

"Anything man."

"Take care of Charisma and the kids for me.. I can't be with them right now..

"Keegan.. come on dawg..

"The way I am right now is not fair on them.. I need to get my mind straight. I have to understand what happened to me and deal with it.. once I have, I'll be back stronger than ever...

"Bro tell me where you are.. please..

"It doesn't matter.. and this number won't exist after this call. charisma has everything, the house, joint cards, cars.. she will be fine.. it wouldn't be fair on her and the kids for me to come back and keep using them as my outlet for my anger.. I need to get right... Tell her I love her..
the call ended.

Ryan just stood and stared, his eyes welled as he picked up the stool from the kitchen island and threw it across the room. "He's done it again.. Travares I FUCKING HOPE YO ASS IS ROTTING IN HELL!.."

"Hey... hey.. what's going on?." Lauren said rushing in. She looked at the mess. "Ryan?."

"Keegan's gone.. he's just up and left..

Lauren hugged him, she knew just how close Keegan and Ryan were. Out of everybody anyone would have thought that they were blood brothers. "Why has he gone.. what about charisma?."

" I need to talk to her... This is gonna kill her.." he moved away from the embrace that he was in with Lauren. He picked up his keys and looked back at her. "I need to go and talk to her now, this can't wait" he told her before leaving.

—————

Leeanne took over from Charisma with the kids. "No studio today?."

"No.. there seems to be too much going on in my personal life for me to be writing songs in a booth right now." She told her. "Thanks for your help though. Me and Keegan need to work through our differences and then we can both settle and raise the kids as a unit." She said.

She saw Ryan's car pull up outside and she headed to the door

She saw Ryan's car pull up outside and she headed to the door. She opened up and looked at him, she could tell by his face that things weren't right.
"Ryan?."

"I need to talk to you." He said. "Can we go somewhere private?"

She took him through to Keegan's office and shut the door. She looked at him questioningly.
Ryan didn't know where to start but she needed to know. "Keegan.. he's... umm.. he's gone away for a while...

She frowned. "What do you mean he's gone away?." She asked.

"Charisma, sit down.." she sat down and wouldn't take her eyes off of him, staring at him worriedly.  Ryan took a deep breath. "My father... our father.... was a controlling sadistic asshole, you were better off out of it trust me..

"What does this have to do with Keegan going away?.."

"Keegan was around when I was a kid.. I remember seeing him.. Travares and Keegan's father were raised in the same hood and they moved weight for the same people, each of them blowing up to their own degree.. our father offered to teach Keegan the ways of the street and bring him up to speed on the running of a cartel.. his father let him come over and sometimes they went out together too in his car... he was 13 at the time and." He went quiet for a second as he tried to find the right words. "He abused him...

Charisma sat open mouthed. "What!."

"You really don't know what Travares was like C... Keegan has to deal with his demons...

"He can do that right here with me.. I'm not gonna leave him...

He shook his head. "I'm sorry baby girl, he's gone for the time being until he can get his head right"

"And what am I supposed to do while he's gone?." She said.

"C... you got the house, a nanny, a fucking studio, his cars.. and his money... he's left you everything.. he needs to do this.. I'm sorry." He told her, he stood up. "Look I need to go, Keegan is uncontactable. I'll keep in touch with you." He told her and left.

Charisma was devastated. He had promised to help her with Marnie's funeral, the pregnancy, she needed him there. She also knew the pain he must have been going through and she wanted to offer her love and support. Leeanne grabbed her coat and popped her head in the door. "I'm off now.. the kids are fine."

"Thanks," she said, her whole mind crazy right now. As Leeanne left Charisma felt the silence, every tick of the clock. The house was big and empty without everyone in it. She shook her head, she couldn't believe she was alone again...