Chapter 1

Rosaline's POV
~The older I get
The more that I see
My parents aren't heroes
They're just like me~

I listened to my favorite song as I read the book I had bought yesterday. The clock in my room showed 7:30 am. I put the book in my backpack as I got up to go downstairs for breakfast.
I turned off my music as soon as I got near the kitchen. I let out a sigh. My parents were arguing again. Sometimes I really wish they had divorced years ago.

"Good morning, sweetheart". Came out my dad's voice.
My mom stayed silent as usual. We both didn't get along much. Why, you may ask. Simply cause my mother didn't want me. One child was enough for her. But above everything she didn't like the fact that I wasn't pretty like her. She loved my sister though.

My sister was eating her usual salad while looking at her phone.

I quickly finished my meal and excused myself. Today was a very special day for me. I was getting to meet my favorite author. This wasn't the first time I was going to a book signing event but something about it just felt odd, in a good way.

I made my way down the garage and Robert, my driver, opened the back seat's door for me.

"Good morning, miss Hart"

"Morning, Robert"

The drive to the library was silent. My mind was busy thinking about him. Him. Marco. Last night he asked me out. Blood rushed to my cheeks. It always like this when I think about him let alone touch him. He was my only friend. I met him in high school. He was in his senior year.
I had a crush on him since then and now he was finally going to be mine.

Robert's voice took me out of my trance and I thanked him before entering the one place that made me feel like I was home.

______________________________________________________________
The event was super fun and I got some good motivation for my new novel. I was excited to talk about it to Marco.
I had a smile on my face as I waited for Roberto in the parking lot.

My desperate gaze never left my phone screen. 2:00pm. I still had time. My Date with Marco was at 6:00pm. My stomach growled loudly. My eyes twinkled. Food time.
I went to the nearest cafè. I ordered a nice cappuccino with a croissant.

I got home and the first thing I did was getting rid of the tight turtleneck I was wearing. I wore it simply because my sister wears stuff like that and she looks good in them.

After talking a shower and putting on a baggy shirt with    wide sweatpants, I went to the living room to watch the tv  series I started watching with Marco.

Time flew fast and it was already 5:20. Excitedly I ran to my room and took out the brand new dress from my wardrobe. I had bought it specially for my date with Marco. It wasn't something I'd usually wear but since impressing Marco was my mission, I was okay with wearing it. I wanted to look pretty for him.

I let my hair down and I felt subconscious : it's been a while since I last let my hair out of my usual messy bun

I didn't do my makeup because I couldn't as it was too late and even if it wasn't I didn't know how to do it.

Just as I came downstairs various voices fell on my ears. Somebody came over?

"You're here, Rosaline. I was about to call you". My mom's voice came out surprisingly sweet. Why was she being nice to me?

"What's wrong, mom?"

"I'll tell you later, now come with me."

With that she took me inside the living room. Everyone turned to look at me like I was the much awaited presence. My eyes moved around the room. Three pairs of eyes looked at me. Two of which were known to me but one was stranger.

They belonged to a man who looked like he was in his late 20s. His eyes were cold and his face void of any emotion.
He was extremely good looking. His presence alone held authority and demanded respect.

"Ah, Mr. Esposito, here she is, my second daughter, Rosaline. Sweetheart, come sit here". My dad said sounding impatient.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you. Dad, I was planning on going out so I don't think I can stay. You can enjoy your evening". I said politely.

"Good. Mr Esposito will take you out then. That way you both can get to know each other and you can step out of the house for a bit". Dad interjected.

"But dad I have planned to go out with a friend plus why would I need to get to know him?" I asked confused.

"Sweetheart, that's just absurd. He's your future husband, you'll need to know him in order to marry him".

I froze. Marry?

"What?" My  voice came out like a whisper.

"Now don't waste time and go" . My mom said.

My eyes landed on my sister. She was fuming. She looked really pissed. Did they all plan it beforehand? Without telling me?

"Mom, dad, what's going on? You all-"
Before I could finish my sentence the man who I learned is my supposed husband, grabbed my waist and took me out  without even greeting my parents.

I struggled in his rough hold.

"Let me go, you pervert!"
"I said let me go". I yelled but my words fell on deaf ears.

"Shut up, Rosaline". He hissed sounding annoyed. We neared a black expensive looking car. He opened the passenger seat's door and pushed me in. He sat in the driver's seat.

"Please let me go". I said as I felt tears forming in my eyes.
I was alone with a man who was almost twice my size,  the chances of him taking advantage of me were high.

"What if I don't?"

"Please. I don't want to marry you."

"Shut your mouth like a good girl and don't make me mad. Let's end this night quickly without arguing."

I looked down at my hands. Ignoring the vulgar insults that were trying to come out of my mouth, I stayed silent. That was the best thing to do now. But that doesn't mean I'll let my parents force me into marrying a stranger.

I saw him glancing at me from the corner of my eye. He sighed and leaned in. My breath stopped and I was about to scream but then I realized what he was trying to do. He was putting my seatbelt on. His fingers slightly brushed on my chest making me blush out of embarrassment.

He started the engine and drove away from the familiar building of my house. My fear grew more and as I looked at my phone, wondering if I should call Marco and tell him to not wait for me, I hoped the night would be over soon.