5|| Bane

The sun had slipped beyond the horizon, converting the shadows of the servants who bustled about lighting the lanterns against the walls into caricatures that had more life than their owners. They flocked about when Diya stepped down the halls, frightening the younger ones away.

Too used to such reactions, Diya groaned and stretched, sighing as her muscles popped back into position. She thought back to her bed in the barracks and longed to be asleep. It was certainly less comfortable than the quarters she'd enjoyed within the palace, but there was something soothing about the sounds of nature- even though most of the recruits snored louder than hibernating monsters.

Not only that, but someone had been placing an apple there almost every day after she returned from training or guarding the Crown Prince- which she considered a small blessing on particularly difficult days. However, Diya had no idea who it could be and was fairly certain that it wasn't an evil person as she'd placed her shadows as guard there against some of the rather spiteful recruits.

Under her breath, she called the Second Prince every name she knew- and there were many of those- until she reached the laundry room, where a few of the maids were busy putting the washing barrels away and preparing room for the newer clothes.

She interrogated and noted down the more dubious details, but her eye caught on a familiar figure.

"Hey Siriana," she greeted, stifling back a yawn. "How're you doing?"

"Diya!" The red-headed Hyraltan greeted with a tired wave, the heavy bags under her eyes highlighting that it had been a rough day for everyone. "I'm doin' alright. I was expecting you- Nancy told me that you've been questioning everyone about their whereabouts."

"That I have." Diya's stomach grumbled, serving as a reminder that she hadn't had the chance to eat since breakfast.

Siriana grinned and tossed her a loaf of soft bread. "Here, saved this as I thought you'd be hungry. They really don't cut back on the work, huh?"

Diya shoved a bite in her mouth gratefully and nodded, chewing between her words. "They really don't. Anyways, where were you during the Crown Prince's tea time?"

Like all Imperial and Royal households, the servants were required to memorise their master's timetable. It was an arcane practice that stemmed from snobbish rich people not wanting to cast their eyes on poverty as they traversed from one end of their hall to the next, and had been kept up as a reminder of who was the powerful one.

"I, and a few others, were dusting the rooms on the second floor," she replied promptly and answered more thorough questions. She hadn't seen anything particularly out of place, but it wasn't surprising as her rota stated she was far away from the kitchens and so couldn't have tampered with the drink.

They seemed to match up with accounts of what others told her, so Diya was happy to cross her off suspect list. "You're all clear. I haven't seen Fred around lately- is everything good?"

"Oh, yeah, he's alright. He got a job in the stables and 'cus he loves the horses so much, he hardly ever comes to the main palace during the day."

"The stables, huh?" Diya thought back to the unruly youngster and nodded at the suitability. "It's a good place for him."

Siriana hesitated and glanced at the nearest coworker, who seemed immersed in chatting up one of the others to pay attention to the conversation. "Actually... I am a bit worried. You see, there are reports of the new recruits being a little... rough with the younger servants. I love Fred dearly, but the boy's got very little survival skills an' I don't want anything to happen to him."

Diya had not heard of this rumour and mentally kicked herself for being so obtuse. "I'm sure he's fine- the stables are usually busy, so if someone was picking on him, it would be known."