Chapter 1: Ramil Reagan

"July 5. Year: 2047. Another unsuccessful trip. Alfie and I only managed to find another kitten. It almost died when we tried to rescue it from the tree. We killed 5 more today, although it wasn't easy (per the usual). All the dogs have run away, but maybe it was for the better? They were too noisy. They're most likely all dead by no--"

The pencil snaps. Of course, just my luck. My pet lizard, Alfie, makes a sad chirp on my shoulder and nuzzles my cheek. I pet his head with my finger as he nibbles on a piece of kale I gave him. The 5 cats quietly mew and eat their kibble. I lean in and pet the maine coon, Jasper. He purrs softly. Even if the world has gone to shit, at least I have these cats with me. They're so cute, it makes me feel less hopeless here.

Oh, you must be confused. Well, here's an explanation, just in case you're lost:

It's the end of the end of the fucking world. It has been for the past 4 months. Ever since March, Alfie and I have been gathering helpless animals to preserve what's left of the old world. All of our dogs ran away yesterday, on the Fourth of July, leaving it to just be Alfie, me, and our cats. For whatever reason, yesterday seemed to be an open season for the Eldritch, so we didn't get even two seconds of rest before each attack. What a great way to celebrate the Fourth of July, huh?

Whatever, it isn't like I liked that "holiday", anyways. Screw America.

"I thought after 4 months of this, I'd get used to being alone," I say to Alfie. He chirps. "But, nope. It's still lonely,". I look at a printed picture that I have of Gracie. "I still miss her," I say. A tear begins to well up in my eye, but I blink it away. It's the goddamn apocalypse. I can't cry. I can't be weak. It'll get me killed.

I hear a sudden screech to my left. It's ten feet away, approaching rapidly. "Shit," I mutter. I get the cats into their cage and close it. "Stay close, Alfie," I say, putting him on my shoulder. He chirps as I get the materials I'll need to make a trap. I need to move quick, our little visitor will be here soon. I put together a citrus grenade trap outside my tiny base and close the door. I hold on tightly to my broomstick spear, just in case the trap fails and the Eldritch gets in.

I rub the scar that stretches across my neck as I remember the last time I got attacked in my own base. I watch the door closely. Something runs into it, making a loud bang sound. A pained screech follows the bang, proving that the trap worked. I carefully open the left door and see the Eldritch pawing at its eyes. Just as I planned, lemon juice stung him.

I sneak up behind the Eldritch and shove my spear between its armor plates. I push it as far as I can, and it doesn't take long for the injuries to finally silence the Eldritch. Permanently. "I guess we can count that as 6 today," I say to Alfie. He sticks his tongue out to taunt the Eldritch, and I return to my base with the cats.

I'm starting to think its time for us to move to a new base now. This is the 15th Eldritch attack this week, and I don't think being right next to the woods is helping much. I put my satchel over my shoulder and slide my spear into it's holster on my back. I hoist my backpack over my spear and grab my picture of Gracie off of the floor. I falter before putting it away. I can't help but stare at it. She's so beautiful... and I'll never see her again.

"I'm sorry I couldn't save you," I say. "I'm so sorry, babe,". I put the picture into the inside pocket of my coat and zip it up. I grab the cage with the cats and lift it up. "Let's go kitties," I say. I exit through the right door of my base and start on my way down the road.

I look around as I walk, hoping to see a human. I know better, though. The last time I saw a human was 3 months ago, but she's dead now. These days, the only semblance of "humans" that I see are the corpses that scatter the streets and buildings of the city. Missing arms, legs, heads, and the likes. It was disturbing at first, but at some point I just grew numb to it. It's impossible to walk around these days without worrying about tripping over bodies. It's become a habit for me to just step on them at this point.