three

Five days. Five days since he'd seen her last and five days since he'd gotten a full nights sleep.

Just the thought of never finding her again made him anxious and, quite literally, kept him up at night.

Sure, he'd envied the idea of adventure, even entertained the idea a number of times, but he'd never been so motivated to set off on one himself until he'd met Juliette.

Juliette Carter had enticed him to take action and do all that he'd ever dreamed of doing without even lifting a finger and he literally hadn't had the slightest idea as to why that was.

Currently, he was in the midst of packing a few bags with clothes that he, hopefully, wouldn't get tired of that would also match most weather patterns without giving him much hassle.

He was going out on the tiniest limb possible and taking a massive gamble by 'following' Juliette around the world.

After a great many hours of creeping on her social media pages, he'd discovered that she was never in one place for too long and that she adored Ireland, France, Germany, and England, among a great many others.

Lord, was he in for the journey of his life.

...

"Hide and seek is so much fun when you're not the one on the run."

Alex blinked hard, rubbed his eyes and read the caption again.

"What."

It wasn't because the screen of his phone was brighter than the sun and the room was pitch black, nor was it because of the jet lag that was seconds away from consuming him that he didn't understand, rather, it was the fact that it was so random that he thought perhaps she was actually toying with him.

After all, she was leading him on a wild goose chase, whether or not it was intended was beyond him, he only knew that he would do nearly anything to find her again, even if she just wanted to be friends and nothing more.

But God, did he want to be so much more and it was so unhealthy.

Was it even natural to feel so inclined to be attached to someone after meeting them only briefly? More importantly, did she feel the same way or was the whole, "If you can find me," bit just a clever way to get rid of him?

He was probably just over thinking...yeah, that had to be it. Lack of sleep causes that, right? Even if it didn't, that's what he would continue to tell himself as he lie awake at night counting sheep.