Understanding Neck Pain: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment

can result from various disorders affecting the tissues in the neck, including nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, and muscles. The cervical spine, consisting of seven vertebrae, may experience degeneration due to age, injury, or medical conditions, leading to disc herniation or bone spurs. Pressure on the spinal cord or nerves can cause symptoms such as pain, numbness, weakness, and tingling.

Causes And Conditions

disc degeneration, muscle inflammation, and trauma are common contributors to neck pain. Severe injuries may lead to disc herniation, blood vessel damage, or permanent paralysis. Cervical stenosis, associated with aging, narrows the spinal canal, affecting the spinal cord and nerve roots.

Symptoms And Seeking Medical Care

Stiffness, Shoulder or Arm Pain, Headaches, Dizziness

Pressure On Nerves May Result In:Arm PainNumbnessWeaknessDifficulty with BalanceWhen To Consult A NeurosurgeonAccompanied by Fever or HeadachePrevents Chin-to-Chest MovementDoes Not Respond to Over-the-Counter MedicationDiagnosis And Testing

Neurosurgeons diagnose neck pain based on the patient's history, symptoms, physical examination, and diagnostic studies. Imaging tests like CT scans, MRIs, and X-rays may be conducted to identify the underlying issues.

Treatment Options

Non-surgical treatments involve medication, physiotherapy, and lifestyle adjustments. Surgery is considered if the patient experiences persistent pain, neurological symptoms, difficulty with balance, or decreased function. Surgical options include spinal fusion, decompression, and artificial disc replacement.

Follow-Up

If non-surgical treatments succeed, follow-up such as physiotherapy is needed. After surgery, follow-up is also tailored to the specific procedure, considering factors like age, overall health, and the presence of underlying conditions. Smoking cessation and weight loss are encouraged for better surgical outcomes.

Royal Care specializes in treatments for neck pain, addressing a range of conditions from arthritis to disc degeneration. Our experienced medical team formulates a treatment plan that is a combination of medication, physical therapy, and lifestyle adjustments.

Disclaimer

This is general information about the options please consult a specialist doctor for the right diagnosis and treatment which may vary based on each patient.

https://www.royalcarehospital.in/disease-and-treatment/understanding-neck-pain-causes-symptoms-and-treatment

https://www.royalcarehospital.in/ent-head-neck-surgery

https://www.royalcarehospital.in/endocrinology