Boston

"Fuckin' hell, Joel.." Jesse muttered to himself whilst putting on a grey hoodie and a dark brown leather coat. "You're smuggling shit without me.."

He grabbed his weapon from the table and checked the mag. It's pretty difficult to get .50 AE these days. After that was all done he put on his black combat boots and tied the laces. "Let's see if ol' Joel's back yet.." he muttered to himself.

The boy grabbed his final things and stuffed them in his backpack. He kicked against one of the wooden planks that made for the wall, it was conveniently marked. Once he got the panel off he grabbed his treasure trove, a SPAS-12 shotgun.

With the stock neatly fold he put the weapon in his backpack, it barely fit, but it did perfectly. After tossing some shotgun shells in there too, he put the plank back in place as if nothing had happened.

With a content smile he left his apartment and went over to the place a few doors down, it's what they called. "The north tunnel." Joel told him to meet there, but when Jesse knocked there was no response.

"Guess he ain't back yet.." Jesse thought to himself, but that was proven wrong when he heard something being knocked over inside the apartment.

This gave him cause enough to just go in, he would explain to Joel later, and the older man would understand, right?

Jesse turned the knob and opened the door, where he was met with quite the sight, Joel's sleeping on the couch, and a little girl picking up the remains of a coffee mug.

The two looked at each other for a second, before on instinct Jesse drew his pistol and aimed the .50 Desert Eagle at the small girl. "And who are you..?" He asked, not speaking very loudly, his voice had the same southern accent Joel's did, although he sounded a lot younger.

"Who the fuck are you?!" The girl asked, furrowing her eyebrows. Her expression was quite hostile, given her very angry look and chosen vocabulary. "Christ.." Jesse muttered.

"I'm Jesse, I'm working with the grumpy old man." The boy said, motioning over to Joel and putting his weapon away. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and sat down on the large armchair over by the window.

Ellie, still very unsure about the boy took a step back and hoisted herself up on the kitchen counter. "Now what?" Ellie asked with furrowed eyebrows. "We wait, get comfortable." Jesse replied, making himself comfortable enough to get some sleep.

He already had his eyes closed when he heard Ellie shuffle, her feet hitting the wooden floor again. "You're really gonna fucking sleep, too?" She asked. "Yeah, you should do the same, it's quite the journey."

"Well, if you're not gonna ask, I'm Ellie." The girl said. "Jesse, nice to meet you." The boy replied. After a few long seconds of silence he stood back up and let out a deep breath. "So, what's your deal anyways?"

"Joel's taking me to the Fireflies." Ellie replied whilst taking a seat on the now empty chair. Jesse furrowed his eyebrows. "Why the fuck would he.. it was Tess who agreed, wasn't it?"

Ellie nodded in confirmation. "Well, I suggest getting some rest, it's gonna be awhile until we're heading out." Jesse said, tossing his backpack to the floor with a loud thud and leaning into the back cushions of the old couch.

~~~~

The boy was shaken awake by Tess barging into the apartment. "Hey. Sorry I took so long. Soldiers fuckin' everywhere." She said, closing the door behind her. "How's Marlene?" Ellie asked, she sounded pretty concerned. "She'll make it." Tess replied, turning to Joel.

"I saw the merchandise, it's a lot." She said. "Wanna do this?"

"Yeah." Joel agreed. "Let's go." Tess replied, starting to walk away. "Am I in on this?" Jesse asked her. She turned around quickly. "You're here, right?"