Chapter One: Jason

It had been four years since I lost my dad. Four years since I last snuck down the stairs late at night to watch Monday night football. I didn't care for the sport that much, but my dad loved it and I loved my dad. So, it was one of my favorite things to do with him. That was until mom came down stairs and trashed the party. "Five more minutes," we would beg her and she would always give in.

There were so many other things I did with my dad. He was like my best friend. Well, as much as a parent could be. Other people may have looked at him and seen a regular guy, but he was so much more than that. He taught me the difference between a pipe wrench and a socket wrench, and when I was younger, he'd take me to work and show me all the different cars he'd work on.

Today was my dads birthday. Every year on his birthday, I'd scroll through the contact list on my phone till I found his number. "Happy Birthday, Dad. Hoping all is well," is what I would say. It's the same thing I texted today only, I wasn't expecting a reply.

"I'm sorry, you have the wrong number."

I stared at the message before me as though it were foreign text. I thought this day may come. I honestly expected it to be sooner. Phone numbers are often reused once the deceased no longer needs it. I'm surprised it took this long for someone else to get his number. Despite knowing all this, a feeling of disappointment settled within me. I'd have to give up on this little tradition of mine.

Instead of moving on and ignoring the message, I decided to reply. "No, I'm sorry. I didn't realize this number was in service again."

"It's cool. Tell your dad I wish him a happy Birthday! ^-^"

The person's reply forced a breath of air out of my mouth in the form of a short chuckle. If only they knew. Then my finger's started moving across my phone screen. I hit reply faster than my brain could process what I had just done. "I would, if he were alive to hear it."

"Oh... I'm sorry to hear that."

"Nah, you're good. You didn't know."

"Still, I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure he was a great guy."

I grinned, feeling a little more playful versus the upsetting mood I was in moments ago. "How do you know? For all you know he could have been a criminal."

"That is true. However, being a criminal doesn't always mean you're a bad person."

I wasn't sure if the friendly stranger had sensed my humor. So, I went with a more colorful comment. "Or maybe he was a goblin who steals toys from children." A few seconds had passed before three laughing emoji popped up on my screen. I was about to reply when I heard a voice call to me from down the hall.

"Jason you better hurry up or you'll be late for school!"

"Okay Mom. I'll be right there!" I grabbed my backpack from my gaming chair and slipped my phone into my back pocket. I'd reply later. I paused. Yes, reply later. The thought of doing so made me... excited? Was it weird to be excited over texting an anonymous stranger I just met ten minutes ago? I shrugged off the thought and gave my mom a goodbye hug as she kissed my cheek and handed me two small paper bags.

My mom and I had grown closer ever since we lost my dad. I never really acted out, but if the situation ever arose when she needed to discipline me, she was more lenient. I think she realized we were both still hurting and she didn't want to be the cause of anymore pain, nor did I with her. We were in it together. Mom also got closer with Theo. Although he had his own family, Mom began to treat him more like a second son as if she needed someone else to take care of. Theo didn't seem to mind. He got free breakfast out of it. It was like a mutual agreement between his mom and mine. Mrs. Barlowe didn't have to worry about making breakfast in the morning as her and her husband left for work before Theo left for school.