It's Okay to Cry Merlin

Synopsis: It's Christmas eve and Merlin and Arthur have been married for nearly a year now. Whilst Merlin is out riding with Gwaine Arthur tries to find somewhere to hide Merlin's Christmas present but he finds a box belonging to Merlin with loads of trinkets inside. 

Whilst laying in bed together Merlin can sense that something is on Arthur's mind so he asks him, and Arthur tells Merlin that he found a box with trinkets in he asks Merlin about them and Merlin get's upset but he doesn't want to cry in front of Arthur.

*~*~*~*~*

Christmas in Camelot was always so magical, blankets of fresh pure snow covered the fields surrounding the mighty kingdom. The lower town was full of traders, music, happiness and laughter and inside the castle the halls were decorated with wreaths and garlands made from fresh pine tree cuttings, holly and stands of red and gold velvet ribbon. Fires glowed and Crackled beneath the marble hearths and candles set the corridors with a beautiful golden angel like glow.

Arthur's POV:

I woke to the sound of the great bells ringing symbolising that the day had dawned and a new day had begun, I rolled over onto my right side and saw Merlin sleeping peacefully beside me. His nightshirt had slipped down during the night revealing the druid mark on his left shoulder I reached my left hand out and gently traced the black swirls with the tip of my baby finger, and in this moment I felt content and happy because I had Merlin and I loved him more than life itself. 

Merlin looked so peaceful sleeping and I could have quite happily sat there watching him sleep but I had a council meeting to attend, slowly I pushed the covers back and went to get out of my side of the bed but I heard Merlin stir behind me I felt him move closer to me his right hand came to rest on my shoulder as he said 'Must you be in such haste to escape'. I smiled and glanced over my shoulder at Merlin meeting his beautiful eyes as I replied 'Were it up to me Merlin I would never leave this bed, but I'm afraid I have a council meeting to attend. But I think we could have 5 more minutes in bed together'. 

I saw Merlin's eyes twinkle as I said that he gently pushed me back against the pillows and said '10  minutes will be fine my love' I was not about to start arguing with Merlin I'd much rather be in bed with him than talking about trade routes and peace treaty agreements so I stripped Merlin of his nightshirt and made love to my wonderful husband.

Merlin's POV:

There was no denying that after we'd finally emerged from our chambers that Arthur was late for the council meeting, I had made plans to go riding with Gwaine and Leon this morning so I walked with Arthur as far as the council chambers the guards outside opened the doors and I watched with a smirk on my face as I watched the way Arthur walked like he'd been training all day non stop.

Once the doors closed I made my way outside to the stables where Gwaine and Leon were waiting for me, there was no doubt in my mind that these two loved each-other but for some reason they wouldn't admit it to each-other but it was so obvious to Merlin even a blind person could see it. As I walked into the stables I saw Gwaine and Leon arguing about something I looked down at the floor as Leon walked towards me before he could leave the stables I said 'Leon what's happened', Leon pointed to Gwaine and said 'Don't ask me, ask him'.

I turned to look back at Gwaine who was being brave and holding back the tears in his eyes, the stable boys bought mine and Gwaine's horses out and we both mounted up before riding out of the citadel towards the main forest road. At first the ride was silent and my concern for Gwaine grew as each second passed by until finally I broke the silence and said to him 'Gwaine I know something's been troubling you I can see it in your eyes, please tell me what is wrong', nothing could have prepared me for what Gwaine said to me in reply 'I was pregnant with Leon's child but I lost it during the jousting tournament last month, remember when Lancelot's jousting staff struck my abdomen'.