XX

The blinding sun rising up the hill that faces the castle's entrance hits my face, forcing me to lower my gaze

The blinding sun rising up the hill that faces the castle's entrance hits my face, forcing me to lower my gaze. After my sleepless night, I slipped out of Lorenzo's room before he could wake from his deep slumber. I barely got the time to bathe before Celeste walked into my room happily to inform me of the arrival of our guests this morning.

We are expecting three girls around my age, including Cateline, along with a younger boy and girl. With the protective dome Lorenzo has set upon Kallista, their parents thought it better for them to seek shelter here during the war. The last thing they'd want is for their heir to perish during an attack on their home.

"How did they enter your wards?" I whisper to Lorenzo who's standing close behind me.

He leans down and whispers back, "I choose who gets past them."

I frown, looking up at the sky where the slightest movement of a glass effect can be seen. "Can the birds fly through?" I hear him chuckle next to my ear and goosebumps litters on my skin.

"I set up wards to protect your kingdom and you ask questions about its effect on the animals?" He says amused.

"I was just being curious," I usher defensively.

"Would you want them to be able to pass through?"

I shrug, "Maybe."

He goes back to his full stance as a carriage is seen rolling up the path and I start shaking my fingers gently, impatient to see Cateline.

I turn to Celeste who seems to catch onto my excitement as she throws me a wink. The carriage comes to a stop and the door flies open quickly, forbidding the poor footman to do his job and letting the blonde I've been waiting for step out of the vehicle.

As soon as Kian sends an approving nod my way, I rush to her with a joyful laugh and she throws her arm around me, giggling madly as well.

"Oh Alora, you look even prettier than the last time I saw you," Cateline exclaims with a toothy smile.

"Same for you, my dear," I tell her as the others get out of the carriage as well.

"Let me present you the others," she says. "First we have Maeve and her little brother, Malcolm."

Maeve bows slightly and her little brother who must be around eight years old follows her. "It's a pleasure to meet you, thank you for letting us into your home."

Celeste nods warmly. "We are delighted to have you with us, we wish it would have been under better circumstances."

"And here are Elizabeth and Jane," Cateline finishes.

Again, both girls bow and Elizabeth expresses her gratitude to the Queen and King. Jane seems a little older than Malcolm and bears a shy expression, contrary to the young boy who I see openly eyeing Lorenzo and frowning weirdly at him. The latest doesn't seem to mind, only arching a brow at Malcom and returning his hard stare, amused.