Chapter 7: Glowing Scales

A lot happens over the next week. The party infiltrates the goblin-infested village with Astarion's diplomatic idea of using the parasite to intimidate them, much to Delphie's disappointment. They jump over the bridge to the Risen Road, where they meet Karlach, the tiefling Wyll's been describing as a monstrous devil. Then, their camp gets infiltrated by Wyll's patron, Mizora, who turns him into a devil.

After everything settles down, the party, except for Gale and Karlach, who are tasked with finding a place to camp, heads to the Rosymorn Monastery. After they reach the creche, they're told to go to the infirmary and seek treatment through the zaith'isk, a piece of equipment said to cure mind flayer tadpoles. There, they head to the doctor's office where they meet Ghustil Stornugoss, a gith in an orange and blue leather robe with a steampunk-esque monocle over her left eye, who runs the zaith'isk.

The doctor's office, like the rest of the Rosymorn Monastery, is surrounded by limestone walls with a tile pattern halfway down. Two lit torches rest on either side of the entrance. The walls closest to the entrance are crowded with empty crates, vases, and baskets. The right alcove is lit up with two glowing blue vases, while the left is mainly illuminated with a medium-sized purple, alien-looking sculpture. Both alcoves have shelves filled with various vials and empty bottles and tables with jars of, what appear to be both, alive and dead parasites.

The group is led over to the small platform in front of them. There lies the strange machine, made of taut flesh and pockmarked metal. The metal wraps around the flesh, almost as if it's the only thing keeping it together. It's daunting and a truly horrific sight to behold. A mutual chill is sent down everyone's spine. Although, Lae'zel's is purely out of awe...

"The zaith'isk. Vlaakith's purity, distilled. My duty. My right." The gith approaches it slowly, only stopping in her tracks when a gentle hand touches her shoulder. She whips around to see Delphie, staring her down with serious eyes.

"I'll go first." The wood elf gazes at the machine in front of her, taking a deep breath.

"You will not. I gave you my might. You will respect my charge."

Before she steps closer to the machine, Delphie whips her head toward the gith with sheer determination. "Lae'zel, I'm going first. It might not be safe."

When Delphie turns around she can feel the extent of the eye roll Lae'zel is sending her way. With another deep breath, she inches closer, turning back once again to see Lae'zel's stare.

"You deny me my due, then seek comfort? Bah. Sit, and be pure."

Her gaze falls to Astarion, the worry drowning her eyes. For a moment, the pale elf shares a similar glance before quickly putting up his facade. "I'm all for it, but...well, you first."

Even though his words aren't helpful in the least, they're enough to encourage her to fully commit to the machine. The wood elf rolls her eyes and gets in the fleshy seat, cringing at the uncomfortable squishy feeling under her dress. As she adjusts herself in her seat, she notices the worried glances of everyone besides Lae'zel, who is glaring at the ranger's every move.

"Vesper. Pax. Confn, Astarion."

The snakes slither off to the pale elf and coil around his forearms. To Astarion's surprise, he doesn't even flinch. For a moment, he watches as the snakes curiously eye him, awaiting further instructions before turning his attention back to the wood elf.

"You must focus on the parasite at all times. The zaith'isk will do the rest." The healer of the creche says as Delphie tries to relax in the terrifying device. Delphie nods as the machine starts up.