[ chapter six ]

[ chapter six ] 

S2 E5: No Exit

DEAN AND I BEGIN OUR walk down the hallway, our EMF detectors in our hands.

"So, you and Sam, huh?" Dean is the first to break the silence.

"Wow, okay, straight into it. Uh, there is no 'me and Sam'. He understands how much I hate Jo right now."

"Huh, sure, okay."

I glance at him, eyebrow raised. "So, anyway, what do you think about Jo's attempt to show us all up as hunters?"

"I think that all the half-baked romantic notions some barflies put in her head are making her believe that she is better than us and that she can beat whatever is out there based on talent and no experience. But, as you and I both know, experience is how we survive. Y'know?" I nod my head.

"Yeah, pretty much sums it up."

"So, how did you get into hunting?" Dean keeps walking, only glancing at me briefly.

"Been doing it since I could hold a gun. Parents were hunters. Taught me and Ash everything we know. 'Til they went missing."

"Yeah. I get that. For the better part of a year, me and Sammy were searching for our dad. It's tough."

I don't know why I tell him, but there is just something about the whole situation that makes me feel like I can trust Dean Winchester. It's probably the deep green eyes.

"Yeah. Missing family members, constant danger, what a life—" I cut myself off as I see a vent up ahead. I lift the EMF detector and see it whirring, clearly sensing it. After a few seconds, the EMF goes quiet.

"What is it?"

"It's... nothing. Keep going."

"Wait, do you smell that?" I smell the air.

"Yeah, I do. I know it." I rack my brain on what it could be.

"Me too. I just can't put my finger on it."

I bend down, holding the EMF against the vent, it lighting up and beeping. A grin makes its way onto my lips.

"Mazel tov, we found our spirit."

"It's inside the vent, clearly my theory of the hallways in the walls was right." Dean snorts, taking a screwdriver out from his pocket after passing me the torch. We take the vent off, Dean stretching to take a look.

"There's something in there." Bravely, he sticks his arm into the vent, feeling around for something. I edge closer to see inside. He pulls his arm back, a piece of blonde scape connected.