1: Victor's Tour

Almost 1 year after the 73th Hunger Games

White light shines through the windows of the train. That's how I know we're almost there. This will be my last visit, district 12.  The dark circles under my eyes are covered. It helps people believe I am proud of what I did. As if anyone could ever be proud to stick a dagger in someone's throat. That someone being a boy from district 2, with flaming red hair and that same flame residing in his eyes. Finnick tells me I'd be dead if I hadn't, as if that makes it better. I know I can't blame him for this, he does his best to comfort me. Even if he himself is still suffering from the trauma. That's why I'm thankful to have him around, he knows how it feels to wake up drenched in sweat, throat raw from the endless screaming. As does Annie. I'd be lost if they weren't around. 

I won my games at 15, my brother at 14 and Annie at 18. We were all too young for what happened in there. No scratch that, no one is ever old enough for this. But somehow I realise it has been more bearable for me than for Finnick and Annie. They were my mentors, they gave me a persona that would help me survive. They saved me. 

"Marina? It's time to get out." I look up to see Finnick's worried eyes on me. He knows this tour is having it's toll on me. "One more. And then it'll be all over." I smile faintly at him, we both know that isn't the case. But I don't have the heart to correct him today. A little hope can't do any harm. "I'll join you in a sec." He nods, places a faint kiss on my head before making his way to the door. "Wait! Finn? Could you do me a favor?" He instantly turns around, his soft eyes holding mine. "Of course Mari, what is it?" "I'd just like to take a walk later, before leaving. Is that possible?" He contemplates my question for a while before giving a quick nod. "Sure, I'll go with you." A smile makes it's way on my face as I stand up. I leave a quick kiss on his cheek and we join Annie outside the train.

As soon as they get their hands on me, my team starts preparing me for my speech. Silently I let them do, even if my heart aches for the people in the crowd. Here they're starving, and I'll be showing off my prizes as if them being in my presence is an honor. It makes me sick to my core. "Oh my, darling you look absolutely exquisite! The genes really do work in your favor! Not to forget my artwork of course." Genifer, my stylist, comments as soon as the make-up is over. I look at the mirror; red lips, red dress and a red bow. Each aspect of this is made to attract people, Snow's way to remind me what'll happen the day I turn 18. A shiver runs down my back, I force a smile on my face and thank my team. 

My steps echo in the hall, the ticking of my heels on the marbles, as I walk as confidently as possible. The doors open and the first thing I see are the families of the victims, standing next to a gigantic board. On the right stands a picture of a brown haired boy, not older than 13, with curious blue eyes and a little dimple on his left cheek. Marcus. On the left, a girl I met in training, Daphne. 16 year old, black hair and eyes to match. Her eyes are soft, always have been, they ressemble the eyes of a doe. My heart aches, tears well at the corners of my eyes. But I blink them away, I can't forget who the public expects to see. Step by step I make my way on scene, all eyes are focused on me as I take my cards out.

"My name is Marina Odair, district four's winner of the 73th hunger games. Which many of you already knew." My tone grows grave when I continue Annie's speech, trying my best not to read of the cards. "I'm here to bring my condolences to the families of the lost tributes. Anyone can see with just a picture that both Marcus and Daphne were kind souls who were taken too soon. I look at Daphne and I remember the sweet girl who wished for her sisters to see how brave she was, and how nothing could take the positivity in her eyes away when she knew she did this for them. When I look at Marcus, I see a y-young boy who honoured his parents when his name was called, and who honoured them again when his heart touched millions of others the day he told his family he loved them before closing his eyes. They're in our memories and in our hearts. And I hope that they're watching from where they are, because I will make their memories live through my victory." My eyes are welling up again by the end of my speech, my lungs cry for air as if I haven't been breathing this whole time. District 12 show their hand symbol before I'm taken away.

My dress and over the top make-up is off, when I'm finally able go take a walk through the streets of district 12. Finnick is with me, hands in his pockets as he takes a look around. "You did good. You stayed strong, and now there won't be no speeches anymore. We can go home." I nod, my eyes strained on the ground. "Till I have to see my tributes die in a few weeks." Finnick stops me,  his hands putting slight pressure on my shoulders. "We're together Marina, I'll always be there to help you out. And we'll do our best to keep the kids safe." 

Before I find it in myself to respond, the sweet smell of pastries and bread fill my nose. My mouth waters at the smell, and I know I have to get something. I turn around and my eyes meet a little bakery with the name 'Mellark Bakery'. As I inspect the building, I see a figure through the glass windows. His blonde hair falls into his eyes as he kneeds the dough he's working on. I'm close enough to where I can point out that his black shirt is clinging to his biceps, perfectly defining the muscles. I must've been staring for a while because not only is Finnick now giving me a knowing look, but the baker's boy is now also looking through the window. Once our eyes meet and het goes to wipe the sweat from his forehead, I know I have to enter the bakery.

Not even looking back at Finnick, I walk up to the bakery and open the door. A bell rings, signaling my entry as the door closes behind me.

I turn around, my eyes meeting the wide eyes of the boy at the counter. "Hi!" I greet enthusiastically, I wanted to make a good impression for the first time in what feels like forever. A smile stretches on my face, and his lips faintly turn upwards as a response. "H-hi! Uhm can I help you with something?" His eyes fall downwards mentioning the pastries before looking back at me, a faint blush coating his cheeks. "Ohh uhmm 3 strawberry tarts please." His smile grows as our eyes meet again, and really I feel like I never saw something as beautiful in my life. Now standing so close to him, I can see the details in his soft eyes. They ressemble the cutest puppy eyes and feel like a pool of dark brown chocolate. How pretty can a boy be?

 While he goes to fill a box with the tarts he looks back at me, his gorgeous smile still playing on his lips. "I uh have never seen you here before. I wouldn't have forgotten if I had." He smirks a little, his muscles flexing in his shirt as he ties the box closed. A blush coats my cheeks, how can a compliment feel that good? "That's cause I'm not from here." He looks up, a little shocked at the response. "Marina Odair" I say as I stretch my hand out for him to shake. "Peeta Mellark" He says as he shakes my hand, and secretly I find myself wishing never to forget that name. I murmer his name back, and somehow it leaves a sweet taste in my mouth. "Wait. You're district four's victor, right? Finnick Odair's sister." I nod at that, and hope he won't see me any different now. "I'm sorry I don't know much bout you, I couldn't attend the speech and couldn't watch the games. My mom made me work." He looks down, rubbing the back of his hair as if he's ashamed. "I'm actually quite glad you didn't, for once I don't have to keep up a persona." A gentle smile graces my lips as I hear my name being called from outside, I know I took my time and now that time is over. 

He looks through the window and then back at me, offering me a dissapointed smile. "It was nice meeting you, Marina." "Same goes for you, Peeta." I take the box with the tarts before opening the door, one last look at him and I find myself speaking again. "Just one more thing. Don't ever stop smiling. I swear a flash of your smile could bring world peace. Oh! Your eyes are also absolutely gorgeous. Just thought I'd let you know!" His cheeks burn red and his eyes widen when I close the door. A chuckle escaping my lips. How adorable can a boy be?

When I walk towards Finnick, already preparing myself for the endless teasing, I find myself wearing my brightest smile since that faithful reaping's day.