Chapter 1

"You caused this to happen" he angrily clasped his hands around my mouth to stop me from screaming.

Was this really how I'm supposed to die?

In the hands of some lunatic who decided to break into my house.

As I fearfully looked into his eyes all I could do was pathetically hit his chest with the little strength I had left, crying for him to stop and leave me alone.
___________________________________
It's been two months. Two months and I still can't remember the majority of that night.

When I told my therapist about the blanks in my memory she dismissed it. "It's a normal experience that happens after trauma." It's the "minds way to cope" as she put it.

But she wasn't listening to me at all. How was I supposed to find comfort in that? I couldn't even go to bed at night without paranoia creeping up on me knowing that he was still out there.

PRESENT TIME
"Okay that should be the last box," one of the movers said to my social worker. They had finished packing up the house that once used to be the home to all of my fondest memories. Now it stares blankly at me leaving no trace of its history.

"Kore it's time to go now," said my social worker, a small black lady with a plump frame and thick glasses. She mentioned calling her Mrs. Smith and although she has been nothing but kind to me since we've met it's hard not to hold some resentment. Not towards her but how my life has became a news story.

It's not shocking for a home invasion to happen in California, the news mentions these kind of things every couple weeks, I just never thought it would happen to me. It's one of those unfortunate events that people see and forget about the next day, going on with their life and not once stopping to notice it's affect on the people that suffered.

I was one of those people that took for granted the safety and security I had until it was stripped away.

One minute I'm peacefully sleeping, the next I'm getting shoved down and forced to shut up. After that I had passed out.

Waking up in the hospital was the worse part. I remember looking at the nurse with so much hope that my parents were okay yet she only gave me a pitiful glance.

They hadn't made it and I was left alone.

I didn't even have time to grieve or process what happened before I was taken to the police station to be questioned. The officers couldn't come up with any leads with the very little information I had gave them. I was utterly useless and I prayed that it was all just a bad dream.

Since I am still a minor, Mrs. Smith had found one of my last remaining relatives. My aunt Yvette, the older sister of my mother who lived 10 hours away in a small town in Oregon. When she had gotten the call it was agreed that she would take custody of me.

I should be grateful really, to get the chance of a new life but how am I supposed to be okay when things are moving by so quickly.

Did everyone expect me to jump right back onto my feet after everything?

As I continued to stare at my house I absorbed all its little details.

The way the paint chipped off the side of the porch all to the small dent on my garage from the time I crashed into it with my bike as a kid.

Relishing in those happy moments for a few minutes longer I finally decided to follow Mrs. Smith into the SUV that was to drop me off at the airport.
________
The drive seemed to pass by as I was consumed in thought. I hadn't realized that Mrs. Smith was talking to me, only noticing when she lightly tapped my arm.

"Sorry what was that," I asked, turning to look over at her with an embarrassed smile.

"Just wondering if ya doin alright baby," the peak of a southern accent popping out.

Although I wanted to be honest, I didn't know what to feel so I just picked something easier to digest.

"I've been better." I quietly muttered.

I don't know if she could sense that I was lying but she looked at me the way a mom would.

"Sugar, you have suffered a terrible loss and healing is going to take time but remember that I'm here for you and things will get better even if it doesn't seem like it at the moment." She stated warmly at me.

Feeling my lips wobble I quickly looked outside the window to hide the fact I was about to cry.

Continuing to replay those words in my mind, I weirdly believed her. Something about the certainty in the way she said it seemed right and gave me a small bit of hope for my near future. As the drive continued and the sun started to set, I gazed up into the night sky and I made a wish.

Please make me whole again
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Before y'all judge, imma beginner writer so please be chill and don't criticize too hard 🙏