vi. The other side of the door

Cassie woke up to a pounding headache. She groaned slightly, holding her head with her right hand as she looked at her surroundings. Never had she ever slept worst in her life. The couch she found herself in seemed to be sinking more and more by the minute, making her sit up.

On the side table was an aspirin and a glass filled with water, Cassie downing the pill before even thinking twice. She couldn't help but look around the room she was in; there were beer cans everywhere and papers scattered across what seemed to be a dining table.

"Looks like sleeping beauty finally woke up." A voice joked in a harsher manner than she'd expected. JJ looked down at her as she leaned against the couch. "Rough night?"

"Tell me about it. My head is throbbing and I missed my tutoring session." Cassie stated as she tried combing her hair with her hands.

"Tutoring session? You teach kids?!"

"I'd rather die." Cassie blurted out, JJ smiled slightly. "I teach elders at the nursing home. Believe me, I wouldn't do it if it weren't for the sake of my college resume."

"I imagined."

A silence fell upon them both. JJ was still mad at her, and Cassie knew that. However, after screaming his lungs out at the girl and watching her break down the night before, he had decided that he should cut her some slack for now. Cassie cleared her throat, "Where is everyone?"

"Well, Pope went home, Kie is outside fighting with her parents over the phone and John B went out to buy some food. Can't let the kook princess starve to death now can we?" He replied rather smoothly, as if he'd been planning his words before she could ask the question.

"I should probably head home too. My mother's gonna go ballistic on me."

"Yeah...I wouldn't worry about that." JJ scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "We pretended to be you and told her you would be out for the day.

Cassie scoffed, standing up. "Why would you do that?!"

"Because you looked pretty comfortable sleeping on that couch so..."

"Okay first, I wasn't comfortable at all; my back is stiff as hell and my butt is now flattened out." She began, raising her finger to get her point out. "Second, give me the phone." She ordered, opening her hand for him to give the device back.

"Yeah...not a chance."

The girl breathed out in annoyance, starting to rummage through his pockets, "Give me my phone."

"I can't do that, I'm sorry!" He quickly retrieved the item from his back pocket and held it over his head, knowing she couldn't reach. Cassie narrowed her eyes at him, "Oh, you're so funny!" She commented sarcastically, anger taking over her as she saw the boy laugh when she tried to reach for the phone, jumping and trying to climb on top of him.

"I think you can survive a day without your phone, Cassie."

"I think you can survive without your balls. Wanna test that theory?" She threatened, making JJ chuckle slightly; meanwhile, his eyes widened, knowing what the kook in front of him was capable of.

"You're awake, good!" John B walked through the chateau door with two plastic bags in his hand. As JJ got distracted watching the boy walk into the home, Cassie snatched the phone from him, smiling proudly. John B walked towards the pair, "You finally worked out your...differences?" He asked, to which they both shook their heads.

"Hell no."

"Not a chance."

John B narrowed his eyes at them, before shrugging. "Whatever. So, you wanna tell us what happened last night?"