𝒊

╔═*.·:·.✧ ★ ✧.·:·.*═╗

I Vaporize My Pre-Algebra Teacher

╚═*.·:·.✧ ★ ✧.·:·.*═╝

It all started with a flying horse.

Percy saw it from his 2nd grade classroom window. A large black shape sweeping over the buildings of Manhattan, through the overcast of clouds and morning air.

He eagerly craned his next and looked up, trying to catch a glimpse of the mysterious figure again. It was just like the ones in the stories his mom would tell him!

But it was hidden from view now, having flown up above the school building. So Percy raised his hand and asked to go to the bathroom.

Sprinting down the hall and climbing all the staircases led him up to the school roof. For some reason, the door was already ajar. It had been propped open with a pencil.

Percy pushed on the door, making sure the pencil was left in place as a stopper, and walked out onto the roof. The gray clouds blocked the sun. The sound of car alarms and traffic rang through the air.

Percy tilted his head in curiosity. Walking along the edge of the skylight, was a girl.

She wore a faded brown dress, with mismatched colored buttons. She was petite, with shoulder length blonde hair that was pulled back into a ponytail, adorned with a small blue ribbon.

Percy watched as she played imaginary hopscotch on the ledge, humming to herself. Maybe she was also something magical pulled right out of a storybook. Maybe she had flown the pegasus there. Maybe they crash landed together and were on a secret mission.

Before Percy could ask any of these questions, a hand was placed on his shoulder. He'd been caught. His teacher got the girl's attention and she hopped off the skylight, following as the man led the kids back into school.

╔═*.·:·.✧ ★ ✧.·:·.*═╗

Good news! The guidance counselor said that there's nothing to worry about. It was all in Percy's imagination. There's no such thing as flying horses. It's all make-believe. And adults know everything, right?

Percy slipped out of the counselor's office and into the waiting area. The girl was there again, jumping to avoid the lines in the tiles of the floor.

Years later, she would wonder what compelled Percy to talk to her that day. Especially since he was already concerned he was crazy, for seeing the things he saw. Conversing with another 'crazy' person probably wasn't what was recommended. But something stopped him from immediately walking back to class that day.

Whatever it was, they would both be grateful for it in years to come.

"I'm Percy," he introduced, making sure to follow the rules of her game, not touching the lines in the floor.

She stopped hopping to look at him with her big brown eyes. Percy noticed she had a missing front tooth when she spoke.

"I'm Maisie."

╔═*.·:·.✧ ★ ✧.·:·.*═╗

Yancy Academy was pretty much exactly what Maisie expected. Stern teachers, long classes, and the social hierarchy amongst kids was still present. The only thing she wouldn't have predicted, was another friend.