1. 44 Hours, 02 Minutes Until It Ends

"Yeah, I have a room booked? Ada Montgomery?" She put down her ID, tapping her foot against the flagstone floor that bordered the front desk. She wiped her brow. "God, it's hot in here."

Ada's brother, Bo – "Robert", but Bo always hated his name – ignored her. The air in the lobby was suffocatingly warm, intensified by the wavy strands of air wafting up the two-story lobby and into the blinding-white skylight. Even tucked into the shadows of the dark second floor, Bo couldn't breathe. There were too many people around, too many people waiting for them to finish up; he tapped his foot, glancing everywhere except at Ada, trying to find nooks and crannies he could disappear into when necessary.

He could've stepped away from Ada, stepped off to the side, and waited for the physical cue they had checked in. Bo glanced around the hotel, avoiding people's faces, and wondered how many times people got lost in a building this long. The space was dark and somehow open at the exact same time. The second floor hung low above everyone's heads, enclosing them like a cave, the entire building clad in stone, browns, and greens. Lighting threw white or gold, a visual breath of fresh air even if the air was stale. He held his backpack and roller bag a little tighter, a little closer to him.

From the view of the two-story windows in the lobby lounge was the pool; stretched beyond was a forest laced with hidden hiking trails, its end obscured by rolling hills and the horizon. Bo and Ada had been driving for over an hour, farmlands, forests, and emptiness leaving an unnerved feeling in Bo's gut. He knew where he was geographically concerning nearby cities. All he had to do was pull up a map, and he knew, but the effect made him feel thousands of miles from everything.

Yet, in the back of his head, he heard flutes. The gentle rumble of timpani drums. So many violins and cellos and harps that the melody was as sweet as fresh creek water, and Bo watched the horizon, the colors saturating as it followed the melody, feeling the flutter in his chest as this new song bloomed inside him, made him warm. He had to write it down. He couldn't let this –

"You're booked in for 2 nights. Is that right?"

"Yes."

"I need to take a charge for incidentals. It's just a hold."

"Do I get it back?"

"At checkout, yes, but that's also if you don't charge anything back to your room. This is also for you." A white bag appeared on the counter, handles wrapped in pastel ribbons.

And the music was gone. Bo's heart settled into that familiar place of gray and still. For the life of him, Bo couldn't remember its composition and the throb of irritation presented itself on his forehead. The forest was just a forest again. Everything felt so far away again. Bo settled back beside his sister, making himself as small as possible.

"You're in Building 3, second floor. Wifi details are there, and if you have any questions, comments, or concerns, don't hesitate to let us know, okay?"

"Thank you. Bo?" Ada stepped off to the side, bumping into her brother. "Bo." She pushed him, nudging him out of line.

Bo stared. "Bite me, Ada."

"Oh, my God. Bo," she muttered, dragging him towards the valet parking stand by the front doors as she packed away her things. "You are the fucking worst."

"Just trying not to be in the way."

"Doing a great job."

"You're such a joy. Have I told you that recently?" he muttered.

"What?"

Bo swallowed back a groan, his lips downturned, gently snarled. 'Naturally.'

Ada sighed, the sound stilted and tangible in its frustration. Words of regret hung between them, but Bo knew she wouldn't say them. Neither would he. They never did. "Come on, dude. Bright side. Bright side. It's a pretty building, right?" She trotted into the distant smell of chlorine, leaving Bo in her wake to follow.