How Long Can You Run?

Jaryl

I had built and excavated this tunnel on instinct that the shaft might not be enough for an escape and on the constant need to release energy in a secluded place. Now, it might as well save our lives. The tunnel lead from the shaft to the bottom of Fisher's Creek which was frozen all year long down to Elantra which presently was a day or two trek fro our present location. We were at least a days trek from the shaft.

The blankets we had carried served us well presently as we marched under the frozen creek ice enclosing us on all sides. Our last rest was around the borders of Clav. As I walk, the the question on my mind remains the same 'why does the Dirimati want to hold a favour over the occupants of the jail?'

So far, I knew their only aim was to purge the continent of magic users who did not agree to serve under their banner. But right now, I have a feeling there's more to it.

Farrind slows down as I approach 'what's eating you?' 'What does the Dirimati have to gain by making a deal with the Prisoners?'
'How sure are you they are the ones behind this particular attack?' Farrind questions 'For all we know Landym of Aradol is always trying to curry favour from Dirimat.'

'Then why involve the prisoners?'
'Killing two birds with one stone' Farrind shrugs ' Appease the Dirimats and hold a favour over the Jail perhaps to even strengthen his army.'
'The attackers bore the king's sigil and that of the Dirimat's.'
'Information. Landym had that and he passed it on. The King is just literally a puppet in the hands of the Dirimati.'

'And how would he know about the twins?'
'The twins if you remember are free lancers which means they can serve as many masters including Landym at the same time.'
'So our entire cause is now at the brink of extinction because of some coin hungry morons?'
'Exactly'

'Then we already know our next move when we get to he surface.'
'We do?'
'Yes.' I affirm and walk to the front of the line were Zanya and Shilan are walking together.

'Jaryl,' Zanya calls out to me weakly 'I'm sorry.'
'There's no need to be.' I say comfortingly 'I was the one who gave the order.'
'I just can't believe how everything turned out.' she says near tears as my jaw clenches at her statement.
Zanya represented something I never thought I needed but I was not one to trust easily.

'You're worrying again, aren't you?' Shilan sighs looking me over while pulling the blanket around her tighter. 'Why Elantra?' she asks she asks changing the intended topic - a skill of hers - 'Why not towards the Sami lands. That's one place the Dirimati will never dare to tread possessively.'
'I don't know' I answer truthfully I guess it s because it's one of the few states resisting Dirimati influence '
'Unfortunately not for very long from now.' she says and it s my turn to sigh.

'Never trust a freelance' I echoed remembering professor Livecond's words .
'It's not your fault Jaryl.' Zanya repeats pulling the blanket even tighter around her.
'Aren't you cold?' She asks me quirking a brow.
'No' I reply
'Another ability, another surprise' she sings. I just have enough willpower in me to give her a small smile.