Nothing or Something

(Maverick's P.O.V.)
I was in the arena training one of the reining maneuvers. A common reining move is the circle. Anchored in the center of the arena, you'll do a combination of two large, fast circles at a lope and one small, slow lope circle in each direction. There will also be at least two flying lead changes. You want your horse to be listening to you. Wherever I point my rein hand, I want Miles to go that way, with his body right between my hands and legs. I want to have control of Miles's speed-run fast and then slow down when I ask. If you can have a big slowdown from running fast right up to the middle, and then go right into a pleasure lope, that will impress the judges. What can lead to lower results during a competition, is falling out of the correct lead because you're running too quickly or missing your lead change. I lead Miles into a right canter and began to practise the move. Praising him in between whenever he did something right for me. Suddenly a rope was flung over my torso, before I could awknowledge it existence properly, the rope tightened. Before I got pulled of Miles with a quick tugg. "What the hell!" I called as I tried to get out the rope as I got dragged over the ground for a few feet making me cough as the sand flew up. Untill eventually I came to a stop. Continuing to cough as the dust settled. "What.. The.. Fuck" I said still coughing and turned my head to see Rip staring at me ontop of his horse. I realized Rip had lassoed me of from Miles and dragged me across the ground. "What the hell did you do that for?" I loudly asked as I squirmed out of the rope. Everyone around me laughed, only Rip was not laughing. Rip didn't answer me so I rolled my eyes in annoyence and turned on my heel to go back to training. But as soon as I had one foot in my stirrup, Rip lassoed me once again. Pulling me back down to the ground. I cursed as I pulled on the rope that was wrapped around my leg. "Weren't you told to do nothing?" Rip asked me as he made his gelding walk circles around me, while I kept trying to untie the lasso on the ground. "Im not doing any ranch work" I loudly said not understanding what he wanted for me, "like you told me to". Rip chuckled and glanced at Lloyd quickly. The both of them laughed before Rip turned his attention to me. "Do you know what the word nothing means, Maverick?" Rip questioned folding his arms over his saddle-horn. I looked at him confused "well duh. Of course I know what the word nothing means". Rip smirked and gestured for me to tell him what the word meant. "It means, no thing; not anything; naught; nada!" I exclaimed. "So why are you doing something if you are meant to do nothing?". I then realized what my punishment was actually meant to be. I was not meant to do anything. No chores, no ranch work, no training, no nothing. I was supposed to sit on my ass all day. "Get your ass back inside" Rip said and pointed to the main house. I groan and roll my eyes and turn on my heels. Grabbing Miles's reins to get him back. "Oh no no" Rip said getting in my way, preventing from me bringing my horse to the stable, "Im bringing Miles back-", "which you are not allowed to do" Rip told me, cutting me off before gesturing to me to give the reins to Fred. "Oh fuck off" I cursed Rip out and took a step back, "I'm not giving my horse to him! He is going to-", "Jimmy!" Rip called to the newest ranch hand. Confused Jimmy clicked his tongue and walked his horse over to us. Rip turned back to me and told me to give Miles to Jimmy. I groaned and handed Jimmy the reins before walking off. He may be new and still slightly stupid when it comes to working with horses. But I trust him more than Fred when it comes to Miles. Lloyd also gave me a reassuring look, silently telling me that he would keep an eye out for Miles. My horse gets a bit agitated at my sudden departure, which makes Jimmy grow nervous. But Lloyd told him how to handle Miles.

(Rip's P.O.V.)
A little after I dealt with Maverick and got the others back to work. I walked into the main house to see Maverick reading on the couch. Passing him I snatched the book from his hand and reminded him about doing nothing. Earning a groan and frustrated sigh from him. The rest of the day me and John kept reminding him of it. I caught him doing multiple things, from sorting the bookshelves, to cleaning his room. Things he normally wouldn't even do when we asked him to do them. So I could clearly tell that he was trying to entertain himself but kept forgetting that, that meant doing something. Walking in together with John, I noticed Maverick taking a nap. "You or me?" I questioned looking at John. He nodded and stepped forward, to only smack Maverick on the back of the head waking him up. Mav jolted upright and upon seeing John realised what it meant. That evening after dinmer Maverick came to John's office to beg for him to be able to do something again. "You want to do something?" John asked leaning back in his chair, "desperately" the kid told him, "I'll do anything". John turned to me, a look on his face telling me that our plan worked. "I'll tell you what you are going to do" John said to Maverick, "tomorrow we are going back to your school and you're going to apologise to that kid, whose nose you broke". Immediatly Maverick gave an attitude back, clearly not agreeing with John. Again explaining the reasons for the fight. Johm ignored him and stood up "you want to work again, Maverick. Then thats how you do it" John simply stated. And thus the next morning, Maverick and I went to his school so he can apolgize to the boy. But after the apology, it was not the end of the rivalry between the two boys.

Published: 6th of Januari 2024

Update request by:
johnJoJr